PhD Supervisor cancels meeting before big presentation - doesn't review my work

K

Hi,

I've just about had it with my supervisor. I have a big PhD presentation coming up to show what I have done so far (I am in my first year of the PhD). I organised a meeting with him on Thursday, but he couldn't meet then. He said we would have it the following morning. I arrive in nice and early to prepare for the meeting (questions to ask, my sample presentation, to ask how he felt about an earlier paper I handed in went etc). Called into his office at scheduled time. No answer. Came back 10 mins later - no answer. Came back every 30 minute until 2pm - still no answer!! I finally find him and he tells me he's sorry about missing the meeting, he was busy. We would reschedule for later that afternoon. Called in again at scheduled time - NO ANSWER AGAIN!! After waiting around my desk until at least 5pm on Friday he finally grants me the courtesy of telling me he hasn't got time to meet me that day and we would meet Monday instead. Monday comes - I still cannot get hold of him!!!!

I just feel so frustrated. I have never once got any feedback on any of my papers which have been handed up. I have a big presentation to do this week and I don't even know if my sup is happy with what I'm presenting.

What do I do? I need some respect from him!

Any suggestions

P.S. apologies for the rant!

A

Hi Kitten

Rant justified in my opinion.

Your supv situ doesn't sound great to be honest. However, you're in first year so there is time to sort it. In my uni if there is a problem like that the way we are advised to sort it is first, obviously try to talk to supv and work out a schedule. Then and if that doesn't work, you could go to your head of department and calmly tell him/her what has been happening. Ideally the HoD should arrange a meeting between you and the supv to sort things out. I know two people who have done this and while it sorts it in one way, obviously there is resentment on both sides that doesn't bode well for relations in later years of the PhD. However, only you can decide if you need to go this far. Failing satisfaction with your HoD, you can go to the head of graduate studies but again this is a farily drastic step and one you should consider before taking - are you prepared for the fallout?

Keep all correspondence etc for future reference, particularly if you are going to complain up the chain of command. Also, have you a second supervisor to bounce things off, or another member of staff to speak to in confidenc? Or could you speak to another student of this supervisor to see if he behaves like this to other students. Some supvs claim to like to leave first years to settle in, trying to be fair it 'might' be something like that. Has he a student close to completion - perhaps he is concentrating all his efforts on that person?

The power inbalance is really weighted against the student in cases like yours so think before you act but your supv sounds, well rude to be honest!

Good luck, hope it gets sorted for you soon (up)

T

How rude! I would explain that you need him to contact you in advance if he can't make a meeting. I think this is just common courtesy. I would never just not turn up and I wouldn't expect my supervisor to do this either.