PhD Supervisor without a PhD?

D

After reading previous posts about supervisory problems, does your PhD supervisor have to have a PhD qualification? I have three sups, two externals that do but the uni sup that doesn't. What difference do you think this would make?

P

I know that  some 2-3 decades ago, some entered university teaching with only BAs/BScs, which at that time was (it would seem) sufficient to teach. Without obtaining further qualifications (e.g. MA/MSc, PhD) some of them have published extensively, successfully supervised PhDs and externally/internally examined PhD theses and have risen through the ranks to become professors. I wouldn't worry too much about these. But I'll certainly have concerns about new comers without PhDs wanting to supervise PhD candidates: WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE, YOU CANNOT GIVE!

D

I approached a potential supervisor about an area I very, very much wanted to study. After a few meetings spent debating the content of a PhD proposal (we had different theoretical perspectives) he questioned my academic ability to do a PhD. Interestingly, he didn't have one (I found out later) and I'm not sure why, but he had an MPhil. However, I felt and feel uptight that he decided to make such a judgement and didn't explore the ideas further with him.

I'm now doing a PhD and although it's not in an area of interest, I've recently received very glowing comments about my work and have been subject to high praise and no real criticisms. Long may it continue!

H

I know a Professor who just has a BA, no academic papers but has tons of work experience.

D

It is interesting that I never questioned it previously as I had externals that had been through PhD themselves. I guess now I have submitted, it is easy to question everything! That said the sup has always been very open and honest with comments and I have valued that. They do conduct lots of research and have numerous publications that I would have thought could constitute a PhD anyway. I am not sure, but I may be one of their first students.....!

B

I think there are also huge variations in subject areas as to whether a PhD is a essential criteria for getting a lectureship or not. I think in Art and other creative subjects, Law, Education and Management for example professional experience would possibly be seen as equally important. I think so long as one member of the supervisory team has a PhD, it's OK - particularly if you are working in a subject area where PhDs have not been standard qualifications for that long.