PhD thesis evaluation

Hi Folks!
I submitted my PhD thesis in January and am about to receive the report from the committee. The problem is that I am freaking out and super afraid of having my thesis rejected. My supervisor and my colleagues think there is no reason to be concerned with it, but one of my colleagues just had his thesis rejected. I am having strong tension headaches in the last month, eating disorders, I am even smoking...my life is miserable! I am suffering from "rational disorders" too: this morning I consulted the Tarô online to see if my thesis would be approved 0= In addition to it, I am currently unemployed, recently separated, living alone in a foreign country and my chances of getting a post-doc depends on the approval of my thesis...
Can someone have a quick look at my thesis and tell me what are my real chances? My thesis is on political philosophy. Thanks!

C

I'm sorry you are feeling so stressed. My advice to you would be to seek some support for the anxiety you are experiencing (via your doctor or a counselling service - perhaps there is a university service you can access?) and to try to distract yourself by doing some things you enjoy while you wait for your results. Your thesis has already been seen by the person who is best qualified to give you feedback (your supervisor) and it sounds like they are not concerned about it being rejected. It's tough having to wait, but I think if you ask people to read your thesis at this stage, you risk increasing your anxiety. Good luck!

Thanks a lot, Chickpea, for your kind comment! You are right that my problem at this stage is to manage my anxiety. It's incredible how this transitional period between doctoral and post-doctoral studies is so stressful! But I guess, every researcher has to learn how to deal with these pressures at some point, right? I will try to calm down and, yeah, got an appointment with my doctor for Monday ;)

I went to the doctor as suggested. It turned out that I was pregnant!

C

Oh, wow! How are you feeling about that? (apart from possibly very surprised!)

I am feeling very strange. Confused, but very happy. The baby was not planned or expected, but it is now very welcome! I calmed completely down regarding my thesis. Before, it seemed that it would be the end of the world to have it rejected. Now, I don't really care about it. Life will go on anyway ;) If everything goes alright, I will be defending my thesis in September with a big belly ;) I also applied for a postdoc last week. My changes look great. Any tips from academic mothers?

C

Congratulations - glad things are moving in such a positive direction for you! I'm sure there will be academic mothers on here - you might need a specific thread to get their attention?

A

Fantastic news.. Can stop smoking now and relax. Having kids puts things into perspective!