PhD Timescale

D

I am applying for a Phd in Law and one of the requirement in the research proposal is about the timescale. The Faculty asks to demonstrate an awareness of the need for planning and have a realistic idea of the proposed timescale.
In which way is it possible to deal with this requirement?
I mean, do I have to specify what topics of my research I am going to investigate in every year of course or something more general?

Thanks for you kind reply.

D.

A

Try to break it down into years and then months within each year, or at least blocks of months. If you are applying for funding, or if the law department where you are applying has a set time for PhDs work with this timescale. Year 1 for example, background reading, literature review formulation, application for ethical approval etc etc. Year two, commence fieldwork or source data etc. Year three commence write up. If you have classes that you have to complete, include these also. Nobody will 'hold' you to this initial timescale but it is a good exercise in focussing the mind.

I did this in year 1 and submitted the last day of year three - as per my timescale;-).

If you are familiar with Gantt charts you could use one of these, or maybe Excel. It doesn't have to be on a spreadsheet but I think it helps convince the authorities that you are organised and have a good handle on how the PhD process unfolds.

D

Thank so much for your kind and prompt reply!
I will try to follow your advice, even though, at the moment, I have just finished writing my research proposal and I really have no idea about a timescale :)

Cheers!

D.

C

======= Date Modified 21 May 2012 14:05:20 =======
I found this http://www.ganttproject.biz/ software (it's free) very useful to organize the timescale of my phd. even though I am not always able to follow it, but that has to do with me ! :$

D

Aww thanks! I will check it!! :D