Phd Topic Change Dilemma

S

Hi,
I am 1st year PhD student in my 10th month. I am going through a dilemma right now which is affecting my motivation to study.

I have been working with a particular topic from my 5th month and did some good progress with it but my supervisor one day made it clear to me that the topic's contribution would not be substantial enough for a PhD and asked me to re-look from a different view or change the topic. Re-looking from a different view was not possible so I thought I could change the topic.

I selected a topic and went to him but he doesnt like it. He gave the idea of another topic which I dont personally like. For nearly 3 weeks, i have been going with different topics and he isnt interested in them and instead proposes his own topic.

Since we are part of a research group with different funding, its nearly impossible for me to look for another supervisor from the school. I am in dilemma on whether I have to push hard for my own topic and risk the chance of not getting recommendation at the first year while submitting progress report OR accept his topic and find some way to keep it interesting.

What do you folks say?

D

Hi Sinrun,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having! Unfortunately, there aren't many ways to deal with this other than to have a chat with your supervisor and, diplomatically explain that you would like to take a more leading role in planning your topic and research. Let him know that not deciding on a definite topic is counter-productive for both of you and try to find a compromise between what he thinks you should choose and the direction you want to take.

Let us know how you get on!
Danielle