PhD viva on Monday

D

Oh thanks everyone Its at 1.30 on Monday, so please send goodluck vibes over to Cardiff!!

Am thinking of buying bottle of champagne to drink afterwards, but maybe that is a bit presumptive! Maybe just buy the trousers, and then champagne afterwards if it goes well. Ten pints of beer if it doesnt!

K

GOOD LUCK DJW!

I'll be thinking of you

As for what to wear, don't wear anything that you would not feel comfortable in. I'm planning on a buttoned shirt-style dress with knee high boots for mine, smart, but what I'd usually wear rather than trying to be someone I'm not with a suit.

All the very best!

A

Good luck DJW.

On significant occasions i think it is important to always wear feel good underwear. If that is any help.

F

Very best of luck, DJW. I'll be thinking of you.

A

Good luck Wickid, I know you'll be great. Re clothes, be smart but be yourself. Just make sure that you look in the mirror before you go in. One of my pals (female) accidentally had her blouse unbuttoned slightly too much at the top. Hence, she discovered after her viva that she had been exposing her bra to her male examining team. She passed though... The problem is that if you notice something like that halfway though, it could really unnerve you!! You probably won't need to bring the Moet as you'll find that your colleagues will have bottles ready for you (I still have one bottle left over from my viva back in spring 05) or if not, will be very pleased to accompany you to the pub. Just make sure you log in to share the good news with us first. xx

A

Hehe, just read Abily's post re underwear - very important if you are likely to have a 'wardrobe malfunction'!

A

BTW, I wore a trouser suit to mine but I'm a suit kind of person. I did my PhD in a hospital department where jeans were banned, so having worn 'office type' clothes for the whole of the studentship, trousers and smart didn't feel sufficiently smart enough! I think it all depends on your point of reference. Plenty of people just nice tops with shirts or trousers and that's fine.

D

Thanks again for all the goodluck wishes. I went out yesterday afternoon and bought a longish black top with a few discreet swirls on the front to wear with black trousers. The top is strappy at the top, but thought would wear light cardigan over for the viva, and then it will be ideal for going out in afterwards. Might have to go out and buy some viva underwear too - good thought!

P

My fingers are crossed for you today, DJW.

J

Best of luck; next time we hear from you I'm sure you'll be Dr Wicked

T

Yep, do us proud!

D

Thanks everyone. I'm so nervous I feel sick

H

GOOD LUCK

S

pah, there's no need for luck! You'll rock! (in a DJ kind of way)

H

Sending good luck vibes to Cardiff now!!!!