Phd with 2:2 first degree plus Masters?

I

I have recently been graduated with Merit in (Msc in Politics) and I want to continue towards Mphil/Phd. Nonetheless, my first degree is 2:2 but also in different area (music/arts). The think is that my BA lasted only for 1 year since I was accepted from the third (this is because I had been previously awarded with another Diploma in Arts and Education from an Irish University with 61% being my final score). Once I enrolled into my BA, I quickly lost interest and instead I begun to develop an interest in politics.

So my question is, will this 2:2 disable me to become accepted for Phd? Does this mean I have to do a second BA (or Masters?)

S

Hi Imaginaire,

I was always under the impression that a 2:2 (or "Desmond", as we used to call it) is considered a decent honours degree. And a 2:2 plus a Masters counts as a 2:1. So on paper, you should be okay. Ultimately, the only way to find out if you can get someone to take you on is to look into availability of funding and approach potential supervisors.

B

Imaginaire,

I think it would very much depend on the quality of your research proposal as to whether or not you were offered a place. A well-thought out proposal showing understanding of the appropriate research methodologies and theoretical frameworks, that was carefully targeted at appropriate supervisors might indeed get you a place. Where the real problem will be is funding. There is not much funding available for Politics PhDs - the main funder is the Economic and Social Research Council via its doctoral training centres in certain universities. Unfortunately because there isn't much money, it is very competitive. My university is part of a DTC and realistically you need a first at undergrad or a distinction at masters (and preferably both) to stand much chance of being chosen for funding, even with a very good proposal, and we're not one of the big name places so I hate to think what it's like at the LSE or Oxford. Self-funding is an option, although that means part-time study for most people, which can be difficult to manage, but you really have to think through the cost-benefit analysis carefully. In general, a Politics PhD doesn't offer much advantage over a masters (if at all) for anything other than academic jobs (of which there are very few), so it is questionable whether self-funding is worthwhile. I don't know what your motivation is, but it is worth considering whether a PhD is really the best route.

I

Hi bewildered

Yes I would like to try for academic jobs. I know there are few but this isn't the only sector currently suffering. There are no jobs at all without experience (except for free). But I am pretty much motivated to get a research degree in politics. I am already working as a teacher (so fees are not a problem). So part-time and self-funding is what I am actually looking for. There is no need for me to get funding immediately from the first year. I know most of my friends have received funding during the second at some point, once they were able to demonstrate good performance in their MPhil stage.

But in regards to academic jobs I am open to travel anywhere, even abroad. I don't really care. But it is most likely that a Phd will lead to researching jobs. Anyway, I am doing it for myself above all...

S

Hi,

I got a 2.2 at undergrad and received ESRC funding at a Russell Group University. I did get a distinction in my MA though. I think with a very good proposal it wouldn't be impossible for you to receive funding. However, as you are willing to self fund then I think provided there's no major problems with your proposal then your grades won't hold you back. I would read some more on here though about the implications for self funding students. It's a big decision.

I likewise got onto a PhD with 2(ii) and a Masters. That said, I did work for a few years before returning.

I also got funding for my Phd so if the interviewer thinks you're the right person, a 2(ii) plus Masters is perfectly okay.

A good potential supervisor will see past the grades and select the right candidate on the skills set they offer.

Take a look at my blog for a little more assistance and my take on the PhD process including a little on grades.

If you want a laugh at the process, you might want to look at this.
Ian (Mackem_Beefy)