PHD with 3 YEAR OLD SON

B

======= Date Modified 25 40 2010 00:40:32 =======
======= Date Modified 25 38 2010 00:38:29 =======
Hi

Am an overseas student, Recently got admission for PhD in biotechnology in reputed university and I am going to start in September2010. I should join my son in nursery from 1st of September..

1) Is it tough to complete my Phd with this big responsibility?
2) Any sugestions from Moms doing Phd?
3) How should be the balance of research project with kid?

K

Hey! Haven't got kids myself , but a pal of mine is just completing her PhD, and she has two kids, who were 3 and 7 when she started, and she is a single mum to them. So it certainly can be done- she has done phenomenally well and is due to finish almost within three years, and with publications and conference presentations and teaching experience as well! I know it has been really tough for her at times, but it just goes to show it can be done with a bit of planning and a lot of organisation! So good luck and congrats on being accepted onto your PhD! Best, KB

S

Hi

It is not impossible but obviously challenging. If your son is in Nursery, he will go to school for just 2 hrs a day while in Nursery. So, will have to be prepared to have some childcare cost for you to have yr son looked after while you go to Uni for supervision meetings, workshops, conferences etc. But, once yr son goes to Reception after a year which will be normally 9 am to 3 pm, you will find very easy to concentrate on yr work except on his term breaks. My daughter is now having 1.5 months of holidays, not very easy to have full concentration on my work while she is at home but there is no choice.