Philosophy Phd. Utterly mystifying... or is it just me?

T

Hi, little friendly 'been there done that' advice required. I had always intended to do a Phd but I have just finished my Masters (crap- I hated it. Entirely the wrong course. Bright girl) but am nowhere closer to choosing a topic. I am a Philosophy Graduate so need to write my own research proposal but I'm honestly stumped. Is there some trick or way round it? I'm one of those people who really struggles when it comes to writing my own titles but will answer any question thrown at me. Am I alone in this? Any suggestions how I can overcome my crippling lack of creativity?

C

Hi Tessifer.
You are not alone at all. I am to begin my PhD next month and i haven't decided the topic yet!(God help me) but I'm getting close though. Tell me, what are your areas of inetrest (with regards to Philosophy)?

T

You see! Now how'd you manage that!? I take it your a scientific type judging by the name? (Should have been a detective me...) It does seem to be a different ball game.
Trouble is it’s all interesting. Apart from an exceptionally poor Political Concepts course and the god damn Empiricists I loved it all. I wasn’t, obviously, equally good at all of it, but the ones that I performed best in were always kind of a surprise. For example Philosophy of mind is fascinating but I think that purely because it stumps me. Whereas with Ethics I feel I’ve done it to death but I excel at it. With every module I found things I loved and things I didn’t but I'm blown if I can differentiate now! Judgement not my strong point. Ironically.

*Gonna continue just down there....*

T

*and here we go...*

Do you think a kindly advisor could be approached with such a vague student or should I buckle down with a load of books until something clicks... which maybe it never will.... in which case I should give up on the whole thing. Become a plumber. Or whatever.

Ahhhh bugger it’s all a bit to much and I'm ranting. And that takes some will power round here! Reply at your own risk...

K

Hi Tessifier!

What an excellent question! I am just applying to do a PhD in European linguistics so I have had to choose my own topic and design my own proposal, which is great I think. This way, you know enough about your area to make an informed decision about studying further.

As far as choosing my topic, during my first degree I spent a good deal of time talking to my lecturer who mirrored my interests and she came up with many interesting ideas. I then read up on the ones which really interested me. I also went to a conference she organised, which inspired me even more, and here I am: about to submit an application.

The best of luck! :)