Places to stay in London- part 2

A

Hi guys I posted a similar thread a few months back asking for you advice on London accommodation- your suggestions were helpful and i ended up staying in LSE uni halls over the summer. But they are not available during term time so now i'm trying to look for other places. I will be going back and forth between London (British Library) and Glasgow- i will probably have to stay i London 3/4 nights a week (i know, it would be better to just move there permanently but that's not n option at the moment)

I wanted to ask, other than B&Bs, are youth hostels any good? by that i mean are they safe, clean. As you've probably guessed i am on the tightest budget imaginable! In particular i was thinking about a youth hostel that is across the road from the British Library, which is ideal.

Thanks.

T

Its difficult to get a hostel room to yourself; sharing with strangers is OK for a night or two when you're on holiday, but might be a bit much over a long time when you don't really want to be woken up at 2am by a load of drunk people on a stag/hen trip! Also, you might not want/be able to leave your stuff there etc, or work in the evenings?

20x4 daysx4 weeks = £320 pm. Could you perhaps find a small (and for that price VERY small) room for a bit more than that? Obviously there's the cost of London-Glasgow, and a tube ticket to a cheaper room probably in zone 4 on the tube...

Maybe try www.gumtree.com.

A

The youth hostel near the Library does have lockers and stuff but you are right, it's not exactly going to be comfortable. There are B&Bs around kings cross for around £32 a night, which is quite reasonable.

O

if you can afford the B&Bs around Kings Cross it might be safer and more restful--I have stayed in a few of them from time to time coming or going through London, and had no complaints. I was very comfortable, the rooms were cosy, but clean, and in all but one I think I had my own bathroom ( en suite). Keep in mind with a B and B that you are getting a breakfast, as well, and you might want to factor that in your costs--because no doubt your other large expense is going to be eating! A good hearty breakfast can carry you through hours of study.

O

PS

you can check out B&Bs around Kings Cross area on www.smoothound.com.

O

and PPS..I wonder if some of the smaller B and Bs would give you a discount for extended and frequent stays?

T

Quote From olivia:

A good hearty breakfast can carry you through hours of study.

I have never had a hearty breakfast from a B&B in London! Its all the continental stuff :-(

O

Quote From thecoastman:

Quote From olivia:

A good hearty breakfast can carry you through hours of study.

I have never had a hearty breakfast from a B&B in London! Its all the continental stuff :-(

:-(:-(

I have had the good fortune then to find the B and B with the hearty breakfast--I mean, it was all you could eat and then some! Eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, cereal, coffee and/or tea, juice, beans, tomatoes, HP sauce! You could eat yourself silly!

T

HP sauce?! Wow that B&B is the last Bastion of great British hospitality!

O

Uh oh, don't say that HP sauce is an endangered species at a B and B!!!! :-(

I adore HP sauce. We haven't got it in the US--I don't think---maybe our Worcestershire sauce is close? And for the record, no one in America is QUITE sure how to say Worcestershire--you get WoosterSHIIYRE and Wochestershire, and Wistishir...

B

======= Date Modified 28 Aug 2008 18:25:52 =======
======= Date Modified 28 Aug 2008 18:23:21 =======
I saw an advert for Easyhotels (as in Easyjet, but hotels!) there are four in London and I think they're £25 per night. I don't think they're in King's Cross though... one is in Victoria and it's very easy to get to King's Cross from there.

EDIT: Easyhotel website: http://www.easyhotel.com/

They're in Victoria, Earl's Court, South Kensington & Paddington. It looks like the price goes up nearer the time so you'd have to book in advance to get a room for £25.

T

An American friend of mine is adamant that HP is like A1 Steak Sauce, though I have to disagree.

T

Travelodge. Book online as far in advance as possible. Rates vary, but I never pay more than £29 a night - and in central London (King's Cross, City, etc). If you can come down on Sunday (for Monday morning), you shouldn't have a problem. And I recently had a run of central London rooms for £9 and another for £19. These are perfectly good, no frills, private ensuite hotel rooms, sold budget airline style

A

Come on people, we all know that Hendersons Relish is king!:p

O

Quote From thecoastman:

An American friend of mine is adamant that HP is like A1 Steak Sauce, though I have to disagree.

I think HP is muchhhhhhh different than A1 Steak Sauce, HP has a much different and I think perhaps more savoury flavour? I prefer HP!
(up)