Please advice me on PhD research proposal

A

Hello Everyone!

I am Alexandria, I have decided to do PhD in Business studies. I want to pursue further career in Academia. I had full funding for my masters degree at University of Sussex. I passed it with Merit. Do you think I will have a good chance for acceptance? of course if my research proposal is good. Also funding for PhD course? Thank you very much everyone. I am looking forward to your replies.

A

Can anyone please answer this! I guess now admissions are closed but for spring will I be able to get the admissions with funding. Any thoughts/advice for applications please. Thank you!

D

Hi Alex,

It's very hard to tell. Whether you can be admitted into a PhD program depends upon many factors (e.g. research experience, applicants' education qualifications, potential supervisor's interest and experience,etc ). Of course, a good academic performance and good proposal are also the major factors.

For PhD funding, the competition is so keen among applicants from all over the world who have similar or better education backgrounds and qualifications than you do. I don't know where you are based. From my observation, it's difficult for international students to get funding as compared to EU (local) ones.

My advice to you is that you can first look for a potential supervisor whose research interests are similar to yours. Then you can contact him/her to discuss your proposed research topic and ask if he/she will be interested in it and will be willing to supervise your project. If your potential supervisor says 'yes', then you will have a higher chance of being admitted. (This is just my experience and observation!!!) Be reminded that there are many other factors. But you had better check out the websites of the universities that you plan to apply to. Different universities have different requirements. For example, some need applicants to look for supervisors themselves before submitting applications and some do not.

Good luck!
Tung

A

Hi Tung,

Thank you very much for your detailed help.

Yes, I have been contacting potential supervisors. Your advice is very good. Thank you, it will help me to increase my chances. I have received two responses today so I hope it will be positive.

I am an non-eu Indian student so I guess it will be hard to get funding but I really hope I will get it. I will discuss that with supervisors too. Actually it feel nice to get advice and you feel you are then going in the right direction.

I wish you luck on your PhD too.

Thank you!

Alexandria