Please Advise...Poor Masters Degree Marks

S

Hi smart people,

I wondered if any of you out there could help me out with my question.

My situation is that i have already got a 2i in engineering and am currently doing an MSc in climate change and sustainable development; however i am bombing big time in this MSc; my average mark being around 45% (3rd class territory). I was wondering if this would effect my PhD changes as definitley want to apply this year.

So guys and gals; is it feasible to apply for a phD with a rubbish third class MSc??

yours in angst

Supinder

S

The honest answer is that unless you can bring something else to the table (e.g. a publication or good work experience) the odds are heavily stacked against you because you are up against competition with better marks. To a supervisor, these represent a lower risk and, ultimately, greater academic ability. To be brutally honest, if you bring a Masters to the table, you are usually expected to have a Distinction.

It does raise one question though, if you're so keen to do a PhD, how have you got yourself into a third class position?

S

Hi sylvester, thankns for the info.

To answer your question --- i rationalise it like this: My previous degree was primarily focused on mathematical equations and electronic principles; i am finding the switch to essay writing and critical thinking more difficult than i earlier suspected.

However i should of mentioned that i am only 1/3 into my MSc; i hope i'll eventually pick up at least a 2i (distinction is probably unfeasible).

O

I think if you manage to get a 2(1) minimum through a good second semester and dissertation, it should at least be possible to apply and maybe to get a position. In the worst case, there are a significant number of C-league universities (accredited) in the UK who are very grateful for PhD students who pay their own fees. And as we all know, the awarding body for PhD does not play such a significant role as for Masters, for instance.

I

Usually, Masters courses are marked either as Fail, Pass or Distinction (sometimes, not even that). So, if you don't get a distinction, then an average of 45% may as well be 65%. In that case, the only way it matters is when it comes to getting a reference. So, if you don't think you're going to get a distinction overall, make sure you get one on your thesis, and are at least close to getting a distinction overall. A good reference from your thesis supervisor will then help quite a bit.

S

Great post guys, you've really cheered me up.

I'll make sure that thesis sparkles!