Please advise: thinking of quiting my phd

D

Hello everyone,

I wanted to write this to just see how everyone feels about quitting a phd program.
I am towards the end of my 1st year doing a phd in chemistry.
Lets say I have always wanted to do a phd, I even stopped my job to pursue it.
However it has turned out to be something that I dislike right from the start and this feeling has gotten worse over time and made even worse with my supervisor who always tells me I am stupid and doesnt support me at all.
I have come to the conclusion of accepting that for me to pursue my happiness I need to leave this phd and go back to my job which I did before.
On top of it I hate the topic of my phd, somehow before accepting this phd I read that you can go anyhow with your phd topic as you please as long you have a scholarship however that's not true, when the supervisor is set on a specific thing they is no flexibility in branching out. I honestly dont want to stay in academia when I finish my phd, it does not interest me at all.
So I have started applying for jobs and have a few interviews lined up, however I thought I should write this to see what everyone thinks.

I just feel trapped living here farway from my family, I feel like I left my six year relationship which was a very unhappy one before I started my phd to replace that with unhappiness from this phd.
I want to live my life to the fullest and not do it because everyone thinks its an amazing thing to do when they aint doing it.
I really enjoyed my masters and undergraduate, even when I was feeling down I always pushed through however that is not how I feel about my PhD at all. My heart has given up on this. I dont even want to go to the lab anymore.
I feel like am destined to be doing something else.

S

Well I think you've answered your own question. If you are not happy doing the PhD then stop doing it. You are right however to search for jobs whilst you continue. Don't quit until you have a job offer. Just be sure that it is the PhD that is making you unhappy - which it seems from your post it definitely is.