Please gage how well I have done in my PHD interviwe?

S

======= Date Modified 18 Sep 2011 15:03:02 =======
======= Date Modified 18 Sep 2011 14:56:20 =======
I had a PhD interview 2 days ago for a very high profile company and very famous university. I was aware of the project subject area so did a bit of reading around prior to the interview. The interview comprised three interviewers (panel) and myself.

Prior to the interview I managed to ask one of the panel members (who was representing the business side) how many people where they interviewing for this specific PHD and he replied ”only one person and this interview is really for the academic partners and if they think you are suitable we would like you to start in 2 weeks time”.

During the interview I was only questioned by the other two panel members they took a good cop bad cop approach. I was asked about my previous studies, work and me to start with. At that point I felt they were looking down on my undergrad project and the university I did it in and said that they would do it differentlyand more proper. I also provided them with a copy of my report and the bad copsaid it is good but it could be improved.

Then it moved on to the specific project with some much harder questions with depth. They initially say they would not expect me to answer allthe technical questions in this part given my existing knowledge is notdirectly related. Except one question I managed to answer the rest of thequestion with them guiding me. I could have answered that question as well but I had a brain frees and just said I cannot make a educated guess.

Just before we finish the interview the bad cop said, maybe I should do a MSc and come back next year?!!?

I stated that 'whilst I did not have the knowledge I wouldbe very keen to learn this with their guidance'. The good cop also said that he encourages his other PHD students to take extra classes with under grads to improve on the weaker areas.

Just before I live the room they said they are going to interview one more person. Then they will let me know.

After my interview I felt deflated as I couldn't answer everything to my satisfaction but the interview panel said that they were gauging what I know and what I would need to learn. I feel like I have done so bad that I have made them reconsider their short listing.

What I don’t know is if I have messed it up or is this supposed to have happened? Do I still stand a chance? I feel because of the MSc commentthey they are going to refuse me even if it means they have to advertise again.

Please forgive any spelling mistakes that I mayhave incurred as I am severely dyslexic.

Sol

A

Hey I hope it went well with you, dont worry about it, its all good, be patient and they will get back to you.
Can I know what PhD you Applied for?? and how come you didnt do aam MSc arent u thinking of doing one? I think that would be good and it would give you more time to see what you like.

Best of luck
Ali

B

======= Date Modified 19 Sep 2011 09:33:47 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--inappropriate content--

B

======= Date Modified 19 Sep 2011 09:34:02 =======

B

======= Date Modified 19 Sep 2011 09:33:19 =======

B

======= Date Modified 19 Sep 2011 09:33:32 =======

C

It may have just been that they were being tough on your to test your passion for the PhD and subject. Perhaps by suggesting the MSc they were testing your commitment to the project?

It doesn't sound like it was a bad interview at all, it seems you answered most of the questions, they shouldn't expect you to answer everything as I doubt anyone can answer every question in an interview. It's perfectly fine to say you don't know something! So I would just wait and see what the outcome is, you must be a good candidate to be offered an interview so you shouldn't feel inadequate.

I hope you hear soon!

S

Thank you very much for the reply it has made me hopeful.

I am a mechanical engineer with a BEng and I applied for a PHD in development of a new material and process for powder bed manufacturing in order to repair aeroengine parts.

I agree I should do a MSc first. I really enjoyed my first degree and it was always my plan to get a MEng but unfortunately not enough students applied so my uni didn't run it :(. I was offered a summer placement doing R&D which lasted till now (I graduated in June 2010).

A few months ago I applied for a MSc in material science and I got a place on the course but then I got an email form the lecturer whom interviewed me saying she thinks I will be suitable for this PHD and I should go for it. If I don’t get the offer as long as I enrol on 30th of Sep I can still do my MSc, but I so want to do this PHD.

Sol :-)