PLEASE HELP! PhD Admissions at top Business Schools

T

I am currently an undergraduate at The University of Arizona. Triple major: Finance, Mathematics, and Accounting. I have an excellent GPA, 3.97 out of the possible 4.00. Also, before graduation I will be done with a full accounting thesis (approximately 100 pages of research with 4 regression models). I have also been trading options and futures through technical analysis.

I am very interested in Finance/Economics PhD programs at Harvard, MIT, and Stanford. However, I realize that my undergraduate school is not among the top undergraduate universities.

Do I have a chance, given a very strong GMAT score? If not, what do I need to do prior to applying? (master's degrees, job experience, etc) Any suggestions will help. Thanks!

W

Hi Ttcoaching. Well done on your GPA score and nice work with your thesis. I'm not sure if you'll get much advice from this forum as we are primarily UK-based students, so have limited knowledge of how things work over at your end. You sound very accomplished though - so I'm sure you'll stand a good chance.

E

Quote From ttcoaching:

I am currently an undergraduate at The University of Arizona. Triple major: Finance, Mathematics, and Accounting. I have an excellent GPA, 3.97 out of the possible 4.00. Also, before graduation I will be done with a full accounting thesis (approximately 100 pages of research with 4 regression models). I have also been trading options and futures through technical analysis.

I am very interested in Finance/Economics PhD programs at Harvard, MIT, and Stanford. However, I realize that my undergraduate school is not among the top undergraduate universities.

Do I have a chance, given a very strong GMAT score? If not, what do I need to do prior to applying? (master's degrees, job experience, etc) Any suggestions will help. Thanks!

I think that the The GradCafe (www.thegradcafe.com) accommodates a wider audience for questions regarding US schools.