please.. help... severe depression?

N

Fortunately I found that page, you are amazing and friendly people. Here in the university people are so concentrated in their own that they don't want to talk and even to see others...this way is really lonely don't you think? Have anyone take anti depressant before? what kind of side effects can you experience? sorry for naging you all with this kind of questions but my GP just told me that the stuff about side effects are not true...All the best!

M

study study and study more and u should be OK!!!

V

Hello Nore- sorry to hear that you've been feeling down and depressed, it makes everything so much more difficult. You can probably find an extensive list of side-effects for anti-depressants online somewhere (maybe the NHS direct website). I've been taking them a long time and have it found it hard to come off them, but thats prob because I havent managed to address the underlying issues, and they have helped with low mood. Some people, (including me, unfortunately!) suffer from profuse sweating when taking them, but other people dont have any probs at all on them. Obviously they arent meant as a long term solution, but they can often help in the short term while people try and get counselling/therapy or whatever. I hope you manage to feel better soon

V

Oh, and there are also online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) websites where you can do CBT for free and thats often helpful. One is moodgym, and is Australian, and there is another one that was set up by the Scottish national executive which is also good (and free). I should say that I'm not trying to give you advice on the 'best' way to resolve your problems, but am just saying what I've found helpful, so good luck..

C

I talked to someone in my lab once and he told me that maybe a quarter of the group had suffered from depression within the last two years. It can be more common than you think, and not often talked about.
I've had long-term depression myself. Sometimes books/therapy etc. helps, sometimes it goes on its own, sometimes it is more part of your personality. Don't give up, I've been on long NHS waiting lists for therapy and got nowhere so eventually found free counselling, and then paid for it myself. There are forums specifically for depression/anxiety and similar conditions which can be good. Sometimes just trying to relax, go on holiday and being nice to yourself can help, and treating it like a physical illness that is misunderstood, biochemical and probably not even your fault. I found realistic thinking rather than positive thinking helpful e.g. I messed up and I'm not the best at x y and z, but it doesn't matter.

N

Thanks Vince and cc for the advice. You are very nice and I'll take it into account. I've decided not to take the antidepressant for a while. I'm going to search different activities during the evenings just to change a the isolated environment. I realize that it could be really difficult to deal with the PhD if I continue feeling like this. What is expected to have at 8 months of the PhD?. In this University I'm not even supposed to present any report at the end of the first year and everything depend on your supervisor and/or your team, unfortunately I'm the only one in my project so I don't really have any reference point! thanks again for everything!

R

Hi Nore,

just a few words related to depressants, although I realise that you are problably not going to take them.
There are various types with different side effect profiles. The most commonly prescribed ones are SSRI's (like Fluoxetine (Prozac)). Again it depends upon which one is prescribed yet in general the effects are mild, usually initially gastro-intestinal (upset tummy), sometimes they make you more alert (Like Prozac), others maybe somewhat sedating.
Unfortunately different people react differently hence the long list of potential side effects on the information leaflet in the pack

R

SSRI's are normally not addictive yet sometimes it is difficult to stop them (this maybe related to the underlying depression coming back, there is debate related to this issue as some people find it really hard to stop them). Usually it is recommended to use them at least for several months, normally a period of 6 months is advised.

C

Hi all
I'd like to thank again everyone who is replying to the post, and I am happy to see that other people can relate and talk about their own experiences. I see myself in most of you.

I was feeling a bit better for the past few weeks but now I am afraid that I feel the anxiety crawling back...I am trying to do some mathematical research now and I am stuck, I keep finding mistakes and I am frustrated because I feel I am wasting my time. Some days I might be sitting here for hours and work work work but in actuality ... do nothing! I found a mistake yesterday that might mean I have to change a significant part of this research... Every time this happens I just feel that I am getting further and futher away from finishing this degree.... And as usual.... when things go wrong, supervisor is missing!

C

I find that if I've been working ages on something then hit a big problem I often want to give up. especially if I then need to enlist help from someone who may not be enthusiastic about helping.
I'm trying not to give up
It slows my progress and I'll take longer finishing, as ultimately will need to sort it out.
Excercise is supposed to be good as it releases endorphins etc. I hate it but have a DVD I can do for just 30 mins at home 5 times a week without taking too much time out.

C

....and diet. Nice sugary fatty food can affect your mood/energy too.
Another one I struggle with

F

I am finally back, and my depression is as bad as ever! I nearly had a breakdown in January, however my research is going ok.

I

don't you find that once you've recognised it you begin to accept it and even learn to live with it? i know i'll never be cured, but awareness helps. keep going

U

Questions for the psychologists:
1. How does depression correlate with intelligence?
2. Maybe depression and being a 2nd/3rd year PhD student is +1 correlated?!!

I find music helps when I'm depressed. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon usually picks me up.

Anyway, it's quite normal to be clinically depressed when you look at the state of the world, and more people have it than is thought.

Being suicidal is when it's a big problem, and I've heard the Samaritans can help.

C

I read it's about researchers turning the critical thinking that they apply to work on themselves.....
A Ph.D. is difficult, it's not surprising people struggle.