Political Compass--check it out!

O

www.politicalcompass.org

This is a very interesting and thought provoking website! Check out where you stand and where your favourite politician and party stand--I am in the same quadrant as the Dalai Lama!

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

C

Hi,

yeah that was interesting i am currently reading a book called the shock doctrine which looks at some of these issues, is well worth a read.

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

H

Not entirely sure about what it all means, seems I sit on the fence and accept a lot of people's views:

Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

J

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67

Same quadrant as Mandela and Dalai Lama: worse places to be.

(blushes: I didn't know what "protectionsim" meant)

C

Hi, the website's interesting, i got

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.00

Quite a reliaf to know i have the opposite views to most of the world's fruitcake dictators, though i suspect most people on this site will come up with something similar

J

I got -7.75 and -7.44 respectively. Shows I was right to do all that demonstrating when I was younger! - and why my kids behave the same! An interesting site, I liked the book lists too, should prove very useful. Glad to see Illich made it.

C

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67

Don't know what that means, really

J

Thanks for another great way of procrastination (more than four hours today).

Somehow, Idon't know why, I ended up Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

In the corner with Nelson Mandela and Gandhi

T

Left/Right: -6.00
Libertarian/Authritarian: -1.64

I don't really know what that means but it's roughly the same position as Ghandi so it can't be all that bad... I will ask my waana be Polotician husband later!

O

I think its a very interesting way to look at politics. I found the comments on the American politicians fascinating--that Hilary Clinton would be run of the mill in the European politics, based on her views, but in the US, she is seen as an extreme left politician! Very interesting too how the politicians all cluster in the upper right hand quadrant--the difference between most of them seem to be in degrees, not in any real vast measures! Ah ha, I thought from my vantage point in the lower left hand quadrant, no wonder none of their messages really appeal to me!

T

Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

as I perceive myself. the questionnaire is quite long though.. sometime difficult to understand..

J

Come on, we can't be all in the same corner. Those George W. Bush "relatives in mind" should really come out of the closet. Nobody gets slaughtered on this liberal forum for their political beliefs!

H

I was wondering - where are all the hitlers, stalins and pol pots; surely we can't all be peace loving hippie chicks/dudes.

Unless the PhD process is yet another example of subversive government indoctrination designed to turn us all into malleable peons.

Can I change my answers?

L

Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90

Sorry yet another person in the same quadrant as Ghandhi and everyone else here it seems!

J

Speaking as someone who is old enough to know people who were hippies... well not at the actual beginning, more at the tail end really, and some of them still are at heart I would say it is more a reaction against governments than for them. Once upon a time government etc. used to say 'i think we will go to war now' and the public would say, 'yay, lets do that, its our patriotic duty'. Now there is a lot more questioning, for example the thing about MPs expenses, that would have been accepted in the past as only right alomg with their right to tell the rest of us what to do and how to think, and the expectation that we will defer to their greater wisdom. Now of course the earliest hippies may be thinking about retiring in the nearish future. so watch out for a new wave of hippidom now they have a bit of time on their hands!