Politics is everywhere

S

Hi

I always knew that there's a lot of politics going on in the department between lecturers and profs. What I had never noticed was how PhDs can be affected by these politics. How come someone with 0 level of English proficiency and little knowledge can publish good journal papers and someone hard working has to go through a difficult viva. Now I understand how important it is to know about these politics and to never criticise any prof or lecturer in front of other staff or students. Being vigilant about the hidden relationships in the department can also increase your chances of developing a better relationship with your supervisor, doing a good PhD and having a smooth viva with little corrections. I'm not underestimating your role as a student to work and study hard in your PhD but just to emphasize the effect of politics in making it a better or worse experience for you.

Good luck
Sheryl

C

Hi Sheryl.

Only too true, in University, in any workplace ... who knows who is a minefield.  However, unless you stay mute and passive on everything you are bound to disagree with something. That said, criticising any Prof etc ...  oohh no way.  

Good post.   Chuff

B

as Chuff says just like any other workplace.... And just like in any workplace, when junior people start trying to meddle in office politics, particularly in the PhD situation those PhD students who wander round always criticising other students and staff but never taking responsibility for their own work, then it tends to end in tears for them. Staying clear of the politics if humanly possible, being pleasant to all and sundry and getting on with your own work in a professional manner seems to me the recipe for success for a PhD student just as it is in any workplace.