Positive Experiences in PhD

A

I do apologise, as I am one of the people to have moaned about the negative aspects of a PhD recently (in my thread 'Can I do this?') Although there are some negatives to the PhD, there are positives as well (otherwise, I wouldn't be asking 'can I do this?' but I would have left by now!) For me, some of the positives are being in a place and studying at a Uni which I like, being in an office full of people I like, being given the one in a lifetime opportunity to pursue my own research and, in doing so, potentially make a contribution and difference to people. There's a lot of flexibility in a PhD (at least that's how it seems at the moment, I'm only five months into my program). This can be both a positive (you have control over your own research and time and can set your own agenda and own pace) and negative (there's such little structure, sometimes you feel like you don't quite know what you're doing, nobody tells you exactly what to do, you work long hours but still feeling that nothing is getting done). At least, that's how things are for me. Congratulations on starting your PhD in the next few months.

B

Quote From Lughna:

Yet to receive any PhD-related (mince) . Now that's my number one frustration.

Hysterical! Neither have I, and there's only a few months to go to rectify that situation! Think I'll file a grievance . . . .

S

I am truly shocked to my core about the lack of cake that is being delivered on other PhD courses - it saddens me deeply inside.

The only way to rectify the situation is to take a firm grip on the situation yourself. Talk with your colleagues and organise "Cakey Friday" or similar, where each week one person on the rota brings in a home made cake. The simple rules are: If you don't bake (and sign up to be on the list) then you don't get any cake. This is how my friend operated the cake system in his office.

My cake based operations are slightly more complex. We have talks each Friday between PhD students. Whomever is giving the talk must provide cake for everyone. In addition, if someone goes to the shop in the office they will inevitably buy some sweets/cake. The unwritten rule is that you share them. Finally, I have additional meetings for an extra-curricular activity for which there is a cake rota.

All simple measures, but ones I feel are of huge importance to the PhD process. If I was in your position I would consider contacting your supervisor about the lack of cake or maybe taking it higher to the dean. Academia requires huge amounts of thinking and cake is proven to make you better at thinking (in my scientific trial of 1 participant - me).

To ensure high quality academic work - Ensure high quality cake.

(mince)

J

It is good to see Positives shared in this post. It is inspiring for people who wish to do a phD. And I really love the 'Cake Friday' idea. Thanks for sharing it. It can not only be used for PhD students, nut also for groups of similar interests. It brings out a great positive output in such meetings, and the energy you get while meeting such like minded people, is the Cherry on the Cake!

L

Ok, operation (mince) is underway. Since this is a serious matter you can expect regular updates in the ''One Goal'' thread. My one goal: (mince) - clearly.