Possibility to take a spouse during PhD studying for non-EU citizen (2)

Y

About ten month ago I open the following topic: “Possibility to take a spouse during PhD studying for non-EU citizen”. Now I would like to open a new thread and share some information with you. My PhD goes OK. After 4 month from the beginning my topic was approved and now I fully involved in my research. But not everything in this life so bright and simple. Two month ago my wife (we are both Ukrainian) applied for a UK visa. She submitted all necessary documents to a UK Embassy in Ukraine. Four days ago she received an official answer from the officer.

Y

This is the answer: “I have refused your visa application on this occasion because I am not satisfied, on the balance of probabilities, that you meet all of the requirements of section 76 of the Immigration Rules. I note that your husband in receipt of a university grant of £12,600 per annum and as of 27/2/2008 has savings of £3699. Given that your husband intends to be in the UK until at least August 2010, I am not satisfied that there will be sufficient funds to maintain both himself and you for this period of time without recourse to public funds”.

Y

This is the story. As far as I understood £12,600 per annum is not enough for two people to survive. But how I or my wife can change the situation? The only answer is to use the income of our parents, but they earn not so much. I can add that according to the learning contract I can’t work, so I can’t increase my monthly income. If you have any comments how to change the situation or what are the main points, which should be mentioned in the appellation, please, you are more than welcome. As you aware the time to appeal is limited (we have just 20 days). Sure that you are more experienced than me in such kind of questions and may be you know that minimum amount of money which is required to open so wanted UK visa for my five.
Thanks.
P.S. Sorry, I’ve split the story into 3 parts because it is to long.

S

Can you ask them how much they would consider enough - because that's the opinion that counts? I think that is a reasonable question. Is there any way that your family could gurantee the extra needed? It is a royal pain not being allowed to work. Take care - in my first, unfinished PhD I was actually caught out working and told to stop immediately. It is actually enforced.

The other option which family of mine have used is for the spouse to enter on a student visa (this was to the US though, not the UK, but may be similar). She would still need guarenteed living costs - but she could e.g. take some English classes, but it still requires money. My sister found it was easier to get a student visa to live with her husband than just a spouse's visa (in fact she couldn't get a spouse's visa at all). Just something to check out if this application doesn't work out.

S

just two things, this might not be enough but;
1) Can you show them that £12,500 is enough for both to live on. write a detailed account of what you pay for rent (backed up with tenant agreement), travel expenses (monthly x 12)and show that you have some for saving also. Try to a good budget plan. Although this amount is minimum, I reckon you can show that its enough.
2) Is there any possibility that you can show some assests (house, land, savings) with your name, wife's or inheritenace from parents or a relative. Show them by bank statements of those and if a relative will help you -a letter confiming that they will support your wife. A saving account or deposit in your names.
P.S: would the international officer in uni help you in sorting these? or a support agency they might know?
As I think its just detailing how the living expenses will plan out for each month and multiplying it by 12 to get the yearly expenses. try UKCOSA website (I think this right).

Y

Thanks for your comments Smilodon and Sheena!

Unfortunately I don’t have an opportunity to ask the officer any information about his decision. It’s just one way communication. Yes, I can show that my parents and her parents are able to support us. They have a stable income, some assets, and savings in banks. But again the question is about that minimum or is it enough to show the savings of my parents in a quantity of approximately ₤ 8000? Perhaps the answer is clear – We have to show as much as we can.
Sheena, your idea about detailed account of my leaving expanses is really good. I think I’ll do it and the officer will be able to see that this amount of money is enough.
Concerning the help of the international officer in the uni, I want to say that they are not so helpful. But anyway tomorrow I’ll visit there office and ask for the advices as well.

S

I'm sorry to hear that they will not advise you on the amount required - I think that is very unreasonable. In which case - Sheena's idea is best - to give a detailed account of how you will live and where the money will come from.

S

Yevhen, have you talked to the people from www.ukcosa.org.uk? i have found them to be very helpful in the past. they might be able to answer your questions such as how much money do you need to show that you have.

as the immigration officer's concerns are about you maybe needing public resources/support, i'm wondering if there is something that you can do like you would be able in my home country: there, you can have a local person who will "guarantee" for you. they need to submit information on how much they earn/own and sign a statement that they will cover costs arising up to say, £10'000/year, if you cannot come up for it yourself. that way, the government rests assured that they will not have to pay for you. often, the guarantor in fact pays you nothing at all. but it takes a measure of trust! that you won't abuse him/her. as you are in the UK already and know people here, you might be able to find someone who would be ready to do that for you.

G

To be brutally honest £12.5K doesn't sound anywhere near enough for two people to survive on in todays Britain. I have some issues re just one person and that amount. Said Immigration Officer may therefore have your best interests at heart in this respect.

S

well i've survived on about 9000.-/year (i am taking the fees as paid by the studentship) in London. Outside of London you would need less. the costs for two people living together are lower than twice the costs for one person. so i'd say it's -just- possible.

but no-one will believe you because no-one will accept that you REALLY intend to walk an hour each way in order to avoid paying for public transport; that you will not buy a single item of new clothing; you will cut your own hair; you will NEVER eat out; that you will not travel at all on trains nor fly "home" for holidays; that you will not need more than a bedsit for the two of you; etc.

G

Ouch. £9k in 'todays' London. Thats scary stuff.

Y

Thanks all for the comments.
Now I understand, that according to the view of the officer, just studentship it’s not enough money. At the same time I must say, that I live in Newcastle. Believe me that my living expanses per month are around £700: accommodation – £360 (double room), food - £150, travel expanses - £20 (there is a free student bus running from the place where I live to the City centre and the Uni), other (clothes, books, going out) - £ 120. Therefore in fact it is really possible to survive for both of us.
But still one question is unanswered - how much do our parents need to add to my studentship for the satisfaction of the entry clearance officer?

S

Abt living on 12,500-it is enough if plan well -outside london.How abt showing them you will save £100-200 p/m by setting direct debit from your account. since studentship is certain you can show it will add around £2000 year for hardships. As suggestions,ask your parents for their savings & assesst details(statements,deeds)& letter to immigration that they will support you if needed-if possible maybe they can send around £300 allowance p/m.dont need to spend that money but keep it in a savings account.Another point(slight doubt)-if spouse gets visa then will be able to work fulltime here without restrictions to my knowledge(dependent spouse visa-home office website.So,if your spouse has qualifications/work experience,good salary, mention these in letter saying that there is POSSIBILITY of finding work here and adding to the budget. Address each point made by im.officer & quote that in the appeal letter-show how you have planned for each of that.Good luck