Possibility to take a spouse during PhD studying for non-EU citizen

Y

Hi everybody!

I had been looking for PhD opportunity in the UK for last 4 months. I passed successfully several interviews and was selected for the PhD fully funded program at one of the British universities. I am really happy, but I have one question unanswered. Does anybody know here, is it possible to take my wife with me to UK during my PhD study? We are both non-EU citizens.
Cause if it is not possible, I am not sure that I like to go there without my wife.

I will appreciate if somebody can give any related information.

G

Ask the Uni.

Y

Thanks I'll ask. But meanwhile does anybody know such examples?

S

Yevhen, you might find some information on www.ukcosa.org.uk

As far as I know, if you have a student visa for England, your spouse can go to England too, I think she will have to apply for a visa separately in a simplified procedure. However, I don't know if she will have a work permit. She might have to apply for a work permit separately or might not be eligible for a work permit at all. You need to check that out - it will be very hard to provide for both of you on one PhD studentship.

are you funded by a research council? You might be eligible to get extra funding for your dependants.

Also check Home Office's "Border and Immigration Agency" website (previously called the Immigration and Nationality Directorate) for visas.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk

Y

Thank you for the information, which is really helpful.
What I found about the students:
- Your husband, wife or civil partner and any of your children under 18 can come to the UK with you during your studies, as long as you can support them without needing any help from public funds
- Your husband, wife or civil partner will be allowed to work in the UK if we give you permission to stay in the country for at least six months.

S

well then, i suppose that's good news for you! good luck with starting your PhD

W

with my experience studying for an MSc in the UK, i'll advice even if you are to go with her, you go first and then settle down and get housing first before she joins you. As an international student, you need to adjust to the situation and conditions first especially relocating to another country different from your own. conditions might totally be different.

wish you all the best in your programme

Y

Thank you wuyeh.

I think I have some experience of being abroad. And I am not afraid of another conditions, situation etc. I’ve spent one and a half year getting my Master’s degree in the Republic of Ireland. I had some training in the UK, Germany, Denmark as well.
So for me it’s not a problem to study in the UK. The thing I wanted to ask is the possibility to take my wife with me. Of course not at the beginning of studying.

W

Hi Yevhen,
My wife and I are both non-EU and I brought her to Britain a few months into my PhD.
My advice is that you start looking for a job for your wife as soon as she arrives!

Y

Dear Wild Type,

thank you for the information. Just one question, did you have any problems to get a visa and work permit for your wife?

W

es, it is very possible. It is your right. It is more of Home Office issue than univ isse. You can have a look at the Home Office website under the student Visa section