Post-doctoral Fellowships

K

Hi, I've just started reading up on the British Academy postdoctoral fellowships and similar and I am having a little trouble understanding the application process.

I'm due to complete in September 2011, the application process seems to begin autumn/winter 2010 for those who will start fellowships in October 2011.

But now after reading all the in-depth application notes they state that prospective applications will not be accepted and viva must be confirmed for at least April 2010. Which suggests that you can not (if successful) go straight from PhD (finish Sept) and start post-doc (Oct). You need to do something else for a year?

Is this right??

R

Yes, that is right.

The Research Councils wll allow you to apply for postdoc fellowships before you finish the PhD but the British Academy will not. Personally, I think this shows the BA to be a bit out of touch regarding the realities of immediate post-PhD life, but there you go.

P

Yup. I am in the same boat. Of either submitting very soon, (in 7 monhts) if I am to have a go, or letting Leverhulme and Brit Ac go this year and submit as planned, in June (which will still be under 3 yrs). Trust me, I have given this a loooooot of thought! :)