Postdoc in the Same Lab

R

Hi All,
I have an opportunity to work for 3 months in the same lab of my PhD. I learned that, generally, this is not a good idea. However, I will be working in a joint project with one of the top 20 universities. The lab in the other university is number 1 in the field and the research is slightly related to me PhD thesis. I consider it a good opportunity to work with this team, but at the same time heard that working as a postdoc in the same institution can harm more than benefit.
Due to visa issues it is almost impossible for me to go to the other top university so we ( me my PhD supervisor and the other lab) to work in my PhD supervisor lab in a joint project. So it is a matter of practical difficulty rather than an academic barrier.

What do you think? Should I go for this opportunity or not?

S

hi R4BIA,
welcome to the Forum!
Why is it not a good idea to do a postdoc in the same institution?
I don't have any experience about postdoc stuff so I think I can learn something here.

I haven't been able to find a post doc position or research assistant position (up till now I haven't been able to get a job, part time or full time etc.) so if it were me, I would take up the offer because it's only 3 months, plus the joint project sounds promising. If this would minimise visa problems, it would be a bonus for me. But this is only me, do I sound desperate :-)

maybe if you can let me know why doing a postdoc in the same university does more harm. I like my supervisor but she doesn't have any postdoc opportunities at the moment, other wise I would apply, we work well togehter too. just too bad.

love satchi

R

Hi Satchi,
Well it is mentioned that working at the same institution and lab would give an impression that you are stagnant and not willing to learn new techniques. I do not agree with this but this is generally the impression in academia.

R

It's only a 3 month position so if I were you I would take it as it's a source of income whilst looking for post docs at other institutes that have longer contracts and to give you time to address any visa issues. I don't think 3 months would make it look as if you're stagnating and from what you've written it sounds as though it's an interesting project to be involved with that may help to give your CV a boost.

S

hi again R4BIA,
thanks for your response!
I do agree with pixie, having read her post. Yeah, how bout giving it a go then, the 3 month postdoc :-)

what do you think, is the impression of academia of people who did their bachelor degree, masters degree AND phd at the same university?

I remember during my first degree, there was a lecturer who did everything in one university. I have to admit, ok, I didn't think she was very smart or knowledgeable.

In the UK I have a friend who also did this, never went anywhere else, and to me he seemed like someone who was "stagnant" because he didnt really know about other universities. BUT the nice thing for him was that he worked in the university as a research assistant, then he became a lecturer and now hes a senior lecturer. All in the same place. It really worked for him. He has a career now, a permanent position--and people like me..I did my degrees in different universities---haha I am still jobless.

love satchi

R

Thank you pixie and stachi for you messages. I agree with you and will go for this "mini postdoc". For me, I don't think there is any problem if one stayed in the same place. If he is productive then I don't see any problem. However, the general consent in academia that this is not a good indication.