postdoc job application advice needed

S

Hi everyone, I just saw a vacancy for post doc research position. I don't have my phD in hand yet, but I will definitely have it by this year end at the latest. Can I still apply for post docs? Shall I put in "expected 2013" at the PhD part in my CV?

thanks very much for your advice
love satchi

C

I applied for PostDoc jobs before I had submitted. On my CV I put PhD 2007-present day and then on application form put that I intended to submit summer 2011. I got a few interviews on the basis of these applications, so guess this is pretty common and employers weren't put off by it.

If the job application siad they wanted people with a PhD you could give an informal enquiry to ask whether they would consider someone who was soon to submit.

S

hi catalinbond
thank you so much for your advice. I looked at the job spec again and the post doc feels like a phd again, but perhaps this time there is a higher pay and more responsibility (?) I don't know much about post docs as I have not thought about doing this before. I also don't have any publications yet, I have had 3 journal rejections. What do I do about the publication part? surely I cannot say that my manuscripts have been rejected? At this moment I haven't revised the rejected manuscripts yet, as I am still revising chunks of my already-completed thesis.

thanks again
love satchi

Y

I do not have any experience of being a Post-doc which is even one of my future options. But as a job offered by employer, yes, you could apply this position. Just clarify your current state, and give them a clear indication of when you are going to finish.

S

hi ywan459, thanks for your advice. yes I think I'll do that.
love satchi

Y

Quote From satchi:
hi ywan459, thanks for your advice. yes I think I'll do that.
love satchi

But you'd better to aware of that, they might want people to fill that position as soon as possible due to a timeline of the funding allocation. They might advertise this before the money actually go to their university account. So they can wait you if the time you finish is exactly/roughly match their funding starting day. However, if they are in the middle of this projection, the position won't last long. They cannot wait.

This is somehow due to the time you finish this up. However, it still worth to ask.

S

Hi ywan459
Thanks for your input you've been very helpful :-)
Love satchi