Postdoc offer...what should I do?

J

After almost 9 months of being in the jobmarket I finally was offered a postdoc position today. Since I got the news I am literally dancing aroundmy room! It was a long way after 3 interviews for this post where I went very well prepared and gave my best. Part of me wants to accept the position straight away since it is a really good offer and I am very much interested in the work. However, I am waiting in the next days to hear from another lab whether I am offered the position there too. Do you think it is ok to email the second lab telling them that I already have an offer and asking them when they would be able to come up with a decision? How would you phrase this so it doesn´t sound too pushy? And if they indeed make an offer would it look bad if I still accept the offer of the first lab? I honestly haven´t made a decision between the two yet and I believe it would be better to make up my mind once I know what is on the table. Thanks for any inputs!

H

Quote From Joanna:
After almost 9 months of being in the jobmarket I finally was offered a postdoc position today. Since I got the news I am literally dancing aroundmy room! It was a long way after 3 interviews for this post where I went very well prepared and gave my best. Part of me wants to accept the position straight away since it is a really good offer and I am very much interested in the work. However, I am waiting in the next days to hear from another lab whether I am offered the position there too. Do you think it is ok to email the second lab telling them that I already have an offer and asking them when they would be able to come up with a decision? How would you phrase this so it doesn´t sound too pushy? And if they indeed make an offer would it look bad if I still accept the offer of the first lab? I honestly haven´t made a decision between the two yet and I believe it would be better to make up my mind once I know what is on the table. Thanks for any inputs!

I would tell the people that have offered you the job if they could give you an extra week to decide?

T

Quote From Hugh:

I would tell the people that have offered you the job if they could give you an extra week to decide?

Sometimes it's difficult though because they want a quick answer.

You can accept the first offer and then reject it later on - this isn't great but at the end of the day it's your life and a job is only a small part of it. I would worry more about what you want than what your potential employer wants...

I wouldn't email the second lab because if they are still choosing between candidates, you may push them away from selecting you and into selecting someone that they think may accept their offer.