Postgrad Forum Hall of Fame

D

Cleared the hurdle April 2012 8-)

T

After a revise and resubmit, a minor corrections - which was really another revise and resubmit, but under a new supervisor - but no second viva, I became a "Dr" this month... I'd pretty much convinced myself it was all over, so the realisation is only just coming to the fore!

B

Revise and resubmit April 2012, resubmission August 2012, graduating later this month.

it didn't feel like it was over until I got the approval of the resubmission.

Congratulations all who are done it - and keep at it those of you who are still working away. You will get there!

SL

C

Passed with minor corrections 29th October :)
Aiming to submit everything so I can graduate in December, otherwise it'll be July 2013!

Hi everyone,

I have PASSED with very MINOR corrections which are just typographical and clarification of couple of sentences. I had my viva on the 3rd of Dec. I can't believe that I have made it :)

H

Hi

I've been dreaming of posting the completion of my PhD on this thread. So here it goes. :-)

Huhu, Doctor of Philosophy in .... Engineering, March 2013. :-)

A

Got minor corrections in October 2012 and these were approved two days ago (8 April 2013). So although I had to wait more than a year between submission and The End, partially because my subject, a politically dangerous branch of Iranian studies, hadn't been done at all (in my supervisor's words: "there is no field") and prospective examiners kept saying 'this is not my expertise', I guess it's now... done?

Viva was yesterday, a gruelling three and a half hours but managed to get through it with minor corrections. Now got three months to do them.

Passed with minor corrections yesterday, have three months to do them.

S

Can't believe i forgot to post on this thread as I've been whistfully eyeing it up for years!

Submitted January, passed viva April, submitted corrections last week, corrections accepted by internal this week.

Just got to get hardbound copy sorted for library and then graduation ceremony middle of July....and then submitting 3 publications to journals in July....

...but at this point, for the first time in a decade, I do not have a thesis to think about (piggy-backed MSc, MPhil, PhD) so to not have that sense of guilt when i'm sat not doing anything is what's most strange! Going to take some getting used to!

P

Quote From snelison:
Can't believe i forgot to post on this thread as I've been whistfully eyeing it up for years!

Submitted January, passed viva April, submitted corrections last week, corrections accepted by internal this week.

Just got to get hardbound copy sorted for library and then graduation ceremony middle of July....and then submitting 3 publications to journals in July....

...but at this point, for the first time in a decade, I do not have a thesis to think about (piggy-backed MSc, MPhil, PhD) so to not have that sense of guilt when i'm sat not doing anything is what's most strange! Going to take some getting used to!

Congratulations Snelison! :)

Delighted for you!!

I know what you mean SN about not having a thesis to think about! Similar sort of journey ie one course after another (BSc, MSc, MSc, PGCert, PhD) and for the first time in a long time, at the moment, I'm not working on some sort of assessment for a course. Taking a break to reflect and give my brain a rest, although intend to get back into my health psychology stuff and PhD publications in July.

In terms of my hellish PhD journey (by no means representative of other PhD stories!),
- I submitted in 2010,
- waited 9 months for my viva voce,
- external examiner cancelled viva voce two weeks before viva,
- frantic search for a replacement examiner,
- resubmission verdict in 2011 (but received very positive feedback from examiners- I just needed to reduce it down to 100,000 words),
- resubmitted thesis in 2012,
- five month wait for decision on my resubmitted thesis
- minor corrections verdict awarded following resubmission,
- submitted minor corrections in 2013,
- corrections accepted two days after minor corrections submission,
- submitted hardbound copy in May 2013
- graduating as Dr. Pineapple in July 2013 :)

Got there in the end :)

M

I passed my Viva with no amendments at the end of July, submitted hardbound copies last week... and today I got my letter of conferment. I'm a Doctor now!!! I can't believe it after the really bumpy ride I had. I had my research topic approval suspended... and my supervisory team changed twice!!! Thank you Phd forum... I've been a rather shy contributor, but it was very useful to know I was not the only one going through similar trouble.
I got there in the end too ;)

A

Hello everyone. I know this is not the point of this forum but because its something you have all gone through i thought you might be a bit more willing to help me out. I am doing my MSc in Marketing and i am currently conducting my dissertation research. I would be grateful if you could take 10 minutes to fill it in! This is the link:

Thank you!

Had my viva on Friday, and passed with minor corrections. Just waiting for the list from the examiners and it'll all be over. So happy!

The viva was two hours. Tough questions but nothing I couldn't handle - I was surprised by how okay it all felt, actually. They told me they were very impressed with the statistics I'd taught myself, and gave me loads of suggestions for how I could turn the thesis into publishable papers, and afterwards my internal examiner said it was among the best vivas they'd ever done. Unbelievably happy!

Z

Handed my bound thesis into the uni last week! Didn't believe it was actually over until then. Phew! :)