Postgraduate loan UK

L

Hi Guys, 2nd year here.... thankfully i am funded which is great but i want to know if anyone whilst being funded has ever applied for a bank loan (UK bank). I tried barclays and they said no to a grad loan as your still a student and no to a cdl loan as your funded!!! Stuck in the middle with me i think.....

Anyone?

R

I got a bank loan and I am funded too... I do remember the person I spoke to asked me what I did and I said research student or postgrad student or something to that effect... and she said "STUDENT??? You can't get this type of loan if you're a student bla bla bla..." and I had to spend about ten minutes convincing her that I get PAID for being a student and also teach so it's kinda the same as having a "real" job!!! Oh what fun... but I did get it in the end!

I'm not in the UK though so that probably wasn't much help

L

Appreciate it anyway, i think im just going to show my pay slips and not mention the student thing.

Thanks

P

When my boyfriend wrote off his car and only had 3rd party insurance, I tried to get a small loan for a car... could I? no.. even though my credit rating was (and still is) excellent.. not one late payment in my entire credit history... and regardless of the fact I earnt more in terms of grant and work than people in certain jobs.. as I was a full time student.. I couldn't get a loan...

So, people in supermarket on minimum wage = yes to loan... PhD student earning more = no to loan...

Ahh, the irony... I actually decided just to max out my overdraft (£2k) instead...

The good news is, when you start work.. everyone wants to loan you money.. not that that's a help now...

M

I was fully funded, but got a bank loan when my PhD overran. HSBC gave me a 'professional studies loan'. The problem is, when I applied (rules may have changed now), they were only interested in giving loans to the traditional professions.....denistry, medicine, law etc. for vocational courses, but if the PhD fell in those fields they seemed okay about it too.

They may have broadened the fields of study now, but they may also be stricter due to the ole credit crunch. Nevertheless, check them out.