postponed viva date

S

I was wondering if anyone had advice about postponed vivas. Mine should have been last week but my external examiner was in hospital so the viva is indefinately postponed.
Despite emailing my supervisor (who is on sabbatical) over two weeks ago I have heard nothing.
I have sent a message saying maybe I need to change examiners and also giving a range of dates that I could attend a new viva, but nothing........
I am now in the hold pattern above the airport of life and frustrated about the whole situation.
I am unable to go to my department head as that is my supervisor, and my second supervisor is away on maternity leave.

I am sure I am not alone in this crazy situation, and after the long days of thesis writing it did not expect this. I guess this is even worse as I feel powerless.

I have been fortunate that the rest of my PhD experience has been really positive, but the last 5 months it seems like my department and supervisor can't be bothered with me and my research. ARHHH

Anyhow just knowing I am not alone in this would be great.
Thanks

P

Ok, that sounds pretty bad. I am still quite a bit away from my viva, so I can only try to imagine what your situation feels like.
Is it possible maybe to talk to a postgraduate administrator/Head of postgraduate studies who can give you advice what the "procedure" is in a case like this? What's about your internal examiner, could he/she help? (In our department, it is the internal examiner who organises the viva etc).

L

what does that mean, indefinately postponed? how can a viva be indefinately postponed. shouldnt it just be postponed to a later date till your external examiner recovers.

you're definately not alone. i have no idea when my viva is either, and i submitted my thesis in november. but then again im not really prepared for my viva either. i emailed my supervisor about a month ago, asking him i need a few more months to prepare for my viva and if he has organised my external examiners and who they might be. he didnt reply. lol.

so yah you're definately not alone!!

but good advice given below. you just have to keep chasing them. the admin people, your supervisor again. but i suppose if the external is in hospital not much you can do but wait. not sure if you can change your external examiners, but perhaps you can. definately bring it up with your supervisor again.