potential employer

S

======= Date Modified 20 56 2010 22:56:55 =======
======= Date Modified 20 53 2010 22:53:01 =======
======= Date Modified 20 26 2010 22:26:35 =======
Hello All,

OK, first I think I need to explain that it is my first time to seek for jobs in UK and am international student, so I really find it so hard to go through this thing on my own. :$
Just any advice to get this job will be really appreciated, as I have all the qualifications for it and it is just perfect for me, I don't think any one else is as fit for it as I am, I am really not exaggerating.

It is a job so perfect for me and I don't want to loose it, I really can't stop thinking about it and would be devastated if I don't get the job.

OK here is the question, I emailed a cover letter and CV to a job opening, which is extension to my PhD work and I have done "almost" the same techniques in my PhD, same proteins and same pathway, I even have a paper published within this area.
So the positive thing is : before applying online, I emailed the principal investigator with my CV and cover letter, so he replied immediately and seemed positive, what he wrote was
"thanks for sending your CV, which I read with great interest, would be also so kind to apply online as posted? sorry for seeming bureaucratic but otherwise life for the administrative staff will be so difficult"

So, I have applied online for the job, as I was asked by the principal investigator

What do you think of this response? i think it is good, but the thing is I don't know what to do from now, or what will happen, do you have any strategies to ensure to get the job?

I mean if he contacts my supervisor would my supervisor tell me? (I have finished the PhD and my supervisor knows that am looking for a job).
or shall I ask my supervisor about the job and see if any one has contacted him?

If I find someone who knows him, do you think this will help more in getting the job? I know it is stupid question, but I don't want to bother someone and ask for help if I don't need it.

Do you think there might be someone who is already taken the job? and the post is just to fill the forms?

The closing date is within one month, if they are interested in me, do you think that more signs of interest should follow the initial email? or I should wait till the deadline and see if I will be called for an interview?

Any advice ? Please help
(up)

S

hi someone3
first of all, from the response of the principal investigator, he has asked you to apply online like everybody else.
So you have the option to do that.

2nd, if he contacts your supervisor, most likely your supervisor might ask you, "And how many hours a week would you put into this new job--if you got it? Would you still be able to cope with your current phd work?"

3rd, should you ask your supervisor about the job, and see if anyone has contacted him---if you have already applied online, you could tell your supervisor (if you wanted) that you made a job application. It will look better for you that at least your supervisor is not the last person to find out about this (especially if you secured the job!).

4th, if you know someone who knows him, I dont know which "him" you are referring to. I assume it is the principal investigator. Well, if you know someone who knows "him", then a good idea would be if you could secure a letter of recommendation from this "person who knows him" and include that in your ONLINE application.

5th, is the job already taken? I don't know and since there is still a month before the closing date, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. The post is just to fill forms---the truth is people want to do things quickly and efficiently; if they ask you to fill in forms, there must be a very valid reason for them to want you to fill up forms. They wouldn't want applicants to fill up forms for nothing.

:-)
goodnight
satchi

S

======= Date Modified 20 Jan 2010 22:50:17 =======
======= Date Modified 20 Jan 2010 22:46:45 =======
Thank you very much for the quick reply Satchi,

I have finished my PhD and just waiting for the internal examiner to OK my corrections :-x. My supervisor also knows that am looking for a job...etc.

And I did apply online, What I am concerned about is there any more actions that I need to do after getting the email to ensure to get the job?

Hi Someone3

I've applied for lots of jobs in the UK over the years, although never as an academic - I know how general job applications work but maybe someone else can say if the specifics of an academic job are a bit different.

It sounds to me like you just need to fill out the online application form, then wait until the closing date and hope you get an interview. The email you sent means that they know you're interested in applying, but to make your application official you need to follow the procedure they've set down. Even if they think you're perfect for the job, it's very unlikely you'd hear anything before the closing date, as that's part of the procedure they've set up for applications, and they're supposed to try to make it fair for everyone applying by sticking to the procedure they've published.

If you've listed your supervisor as a reference for the job then you definitely need to mention this to your supervisor, but it might be a good idea to mention it anyway just to keep him in the loop. I'm not sure about what else you can do, I'd just wait to hear whether I got an interview because they will probably be very strict about following their procedures, but maybe someone else has more suggestions about that.

Good luck with the application anyway!

best wishes

Batfink

S

Hello Batfink,

Thank you very much for the reply, it helped (i didn't know that i have to inform my supervisor about it, since I have already told him that am looking for jobs, so I guessed he should expect that someone one day might call him?)

I gave you a vote for your sincere advices ;)

Thank you, my first star has appeared :-)

C

Sorry to be a voice of sobriety, but I would not get too over excited about the PI's email or try and read intentions into it. Just this month I fact I had a similar situation, the professor seemed interested in my work and encouraged me to apply, and I didn't even get an interview. I also couldn't help noticing that two doctoral students at the institution were completing PhD's in the same area as the job post. So the "job" post wasn't really that at all since I had all the credentials on paper and satisfied the usual HR job description boxes - yet no interview.

So really, take it as it goes and don't try and read into what might just be a polite professional email.

S

OK, and I hope you get the job:-)
(up)
good luck
satchi

H

Hi someone3,

I'd just like to echo chrisrolinski's post - not because I want to rain on your parade in any way, but I got my hopes up about a job I applied for recently and was absolutely gutted not to get it and for a while it really put me off applying for anything ever again. So just a warning really - if you don't get an interview don't take it personally and don't let it put you off in the future! (incidentally, I was encouraged to apply for the job by the head of dept but they then got 150 - yes 150 - other applications from people most of whom were far more qualified than me).

In the future it might be a good idea to ask a few informal questions when you see a job advert e.g. what the priority areas for the department are, if there are any teaching requirements, if there is any flexibility in the start date etc. - it can help you tailor your CV to the job, and it also puts your name in their minds.

One other thing to bear in mind - often the procedure for job applications is that someone in Human Resources will sift through the CVs and throw out any that look irrelevant/under qualified - so the academic assessors only see a tiny proportion of the applications. So if you don't get an interview, don't assume that the guy who replied to your email was leading you on or lying to you; he might not even have seen your application.

But very very good luck with the application!

S

======= Date Modified 21 Jan 2010 12:31:16 =======
Hello All

Thanks for your concern Chis and Hiefer, I have voted for both of you :)
Heifer, the person who replied is the principal investigator of the lab and he already read my application, so he is aware of me and how my qualifications suits the job, the only concern I have is that there is a PhD student doing this research and is writing up, that is why am a bit concerned.

fingers crossed and please keep posting any advice will really open my eyes, as am so naive in job hunting  :$

T

I don't think you're being especially naive Someone3, to be honest we're all in the same boat when it comes to these things! It sounds as if you're well suited to the post and that you've already got your name in the PIs mind (always a good thing). I don't think you can do any more except play the waiting game now. It's true that so much is dependent on luck (how many applicants they have, HR policies etc) but I hope it works out for you :-)

S

Hello Again,

IS there any one can give more advice please :$:-) i really really need more opinions ;-)

S

Hi Someone3

The others have given good advice. I'm adept at applying for jobs, as I change jobs every year or so, and know the process well, altho haven't yet applied for academic jobs yet. Yes, you just have to wait until they've sorted the applications, and hope you get an interview. This will depend on your application and how well you've answered the selection criteria. Whenever I apply for a job, I alays call up and speak to the contact person to get a bit more info, and also ask if anyone's doing the job at the moment - you could call and ask the professor this. I also wouldn't read too much into his email - sounds like a polite, professional email to me, nothing more. They want to get the best applicants, so he's likely to encourage you, but there could also be many others who are also suitable for the job. You probably won't hear from them for a while and they would be unlikely to contact you before the closing date. So, just sit back for the moment.

You also do need to tell your supervisor you've applied for this - in the event you get an interview, they would probably talk to your supervisor, so he needs to be aware that you've applied. Also show him the position description, so he can tailor what he says to match what the employer is looking for. Let us know if you get an interview!

S

Hello Sue,

Thank you so much for your nice and detailed information, specially the last part. I will contact my supervisor as I really didn't know it was necessary to tell my supervisor, because I thought if I say am applying for jobs, then I don't need to tell the supervisor every time I apply for a new job post.

Thanks again (gift):-x