Pre-VIVA blues

D

My VIVA is in less than two weeks, and yet I feel very depressed and blue about it. There are a lot of posts from people who describe feeling anxious and nervous, but not sad. I didn't expect to feel so down, and it's making it hard to focus.

L

I imagine it might just be that your nerves are manifesting themselves as depression? I think it's common to suffer withdrawal symptoms after submitting. You were constantly motivated by that goal and you reached it, but are in a bit of a limbo land until the actual VIVA. Have you felt like doing any of the things you didn't have time to during the last few weeks/months? Maybe you just need a good distraction. Just think of all the struggling PhDs who would love to be in your place! You have submitted and should be very proud! Hope you feel better soon. :-)

D

Thanks, Lughna. I'm usually not a down-in-the-dumps person!

I think you're right. "Limbo land" is a good way to describe it: nearly finished, but not quite. But I'll focus on what has been accomplished, rather than the possibility of a bad VIVA or more revisions ahead.

Will treat myself to something fun today! 8-) Thanks again!

L

Will treat myself to something fun today! 8-) Thanks again!
Enjoy!
(up)

S

Hi Dalmation,
I submitted last week, and so am also in limbo-land, although I don't have an actual viva date yet. Just wanted to say that I feel really sad too!! I thought that once I had submitted I would feel really excited, at least just for a little while, but I actually got back to my car and cried after I'd handed it over. I think as lughna says it was just all the stress and the tension of the last few weeks coming out in a really weird way!! However, I think it's perfectly normal to have strange confusing feelings at this point, as it feels like I've used every last drop of energy I had to reach the top of the mountain only to find out it's not really the top and I've still got a bit to climb!! The good news is though that this is the last little push, and think of how amazing that will feel! Best of luck ;-)

P

Quote From Dalmation:

My VIVA is in less than two weeks, and yet I feel very depressed and blue about it. There are a lot of posts from people who describe feeling anxious and nervous, but not sad. I didn't expect to feel so down, and it's making it hard to focus.

I'd say this is completely natural as many people describe this feeling. Have a look at our website it may help: http://phd-viva.com/ It has a collection of experiences of PhD Vivas and gives advice and tips on the preparation for the viva.

All the best with your viva! :)