Presentation

Would you put an overview slide e.g. that says...

Backgorund Research
Method
Results
Implications

at the beginnning of a presentation - that's a seminar presentation to 'important' people? - I feel a bit silly saying "this is what I'm going to talk about" rather than just talking about it.

B

No, I think I'd just get on and talk about it.

G

Other than an initial title slide I wouldn't bother with an overview and if you feel silly saying "this is what I'm going to talk about" then you should bother with it.

Thank you - I've not included it. I don't think I will have to present anyway, but the bloke who might be presenting his own presentation might not be able to because of civil service and purdah?? - cos we haven't got a government yet, so I was told "a backup is always useful" :-s

A

um....I always include a slide like this.  We've always been told (and I agree) that the best way to do a presentation is firstly, tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you've told them. So basically a slide to say briefly here's what I'm going to be talking about, here's all the stuff, and then a final slide to summarise everything. I prefer hearing these slides in a talk too, because then you know the structure of the talk and it's easier to focus on what the presenter is saying then.
Sorry if I've made it awkward!

G

When you put it that way it does make sense....

Quote From algaequeen:

um....I always include a slide like this.  We've always been told (and I agree) that the best way to do a presentation is firstly, tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you've told them. So basically a slide to say briefly here's what I'm going to be talking about, here's all the stuff, and then a final slide to summarise everything. I prefer hearing these slides in a talk too, because then you know the structure of the talk and it's easier to focus on what the presenter is saying then.
Sorry if I've made it awkward!

Yeah, I was taught that way too - but it will only be a talk to about 30 people, so I reckon I'm just going to leave the title slide up and say what I'm going to cover e.g. "so I'm here today to go through my research, the background, method - how I collected the data, my findings and potential implications" and then dive in - I feel a bit of a tw@ bringing up the bullet points on a slide. I will do that for my talk on Monday though - as its my annual review!

A

should be grand so then sneaks! good luck in case you do have to do it tomorrow! :)

J

I've put a sort of overview slide at the beginning of the presentation I'm doing this week, just so they know where I'm coming from.