presenting papers: help/advice!

C

I am in my first term, my supervisor has draw a postgraduate conference to my attention and I'm thinking of perhaps submitting an abstract. I have a month to put a 300 word abstract together. Hmm I don't know what I would do it on, but perhaps the process of writing an abstract would structure my first term and kind of help with the literature review. What are other peoples experiences of papers?

B

Postgrad conferences are the best - everyone's at more or less the same level. It's a good opportunity to meet other students too. Don't worry too much about the content of the abstract: by the time the conference comes around, the topic/direction of the paper has often changed considerably from what was first envisaged. It's all part of the learning process! I would definitely recommend you send an abstract. Even if your abstract isn't chosen for the conference, it'll be a good opportunity to do a structured piece of writing for a specific purpose. (And it'll persuade your supervisor that you're keen and willing to make an effort). Good luck.

H

I would suggest either just attending and getting a feel for what these sorts of conference are about - for example, an opportunity to ease yourself in and listen to some other papers in your field, or present an introduction to your work to get comments on ways to proceed and potential literatures - say you are a first year. Look back on your original proposal and perhaps draw together a bit of general background and then set out the aims of your thesis, with a short reflection on the archives/data sets you will be using. Do not put too much pressure on yourself too early on. I think sometimes people expect us to hit the ground running, when actually taking your time (because time is something we have - 3years) and enjoying the first year is just as helpful. Do go to the conference though - postgrad conferences are great for networking and motivation.

M

There's nothing like writing an abstract saying it reports on work you've not done yet for getting your backside into gear. Don't be too detailed or commital though. Personally, I favour vague, stock phrases that make my work sound more impressive than it invariably turns out to be.

Also, a month is ages. Spend most of it just doing your work and see if you come up with any ideas. Failing that, do a literature review and identify how your research will contribute.

C

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I'll give it a go. The abstract will help my get to grips with the lit review. And it might even be accepted!

Anywho....at the current momment I am staring at a blank screen waiting for some rsearch questions for a meeting with my supervisor to pop out!

J

i submitted a successful abstract sometime back.i'm hoping to get the paper done by the end of the month. mine was just about the proposed content of my paper and how am going to deal with it. best of luck.

by any chance, seeing that you're in manchester, might we be going to the same conference? mine is in mid november. when is yours?

thanks.

C

No, mine will be in Durham in Jan.

What department/buildings are you at/in Manchester? I'm split between the Lime Grove Building and Simons buildings (off Oxford Road). Isn't it great being a postgrad in Manchester?!

C

Also...good luck on your paper. I was going to also do a presentation of my research project...I figured it would be relevant to the lit review, keep me on track, and not involve extraneous research on stuff not relevant to study.

J

Williamson! interesting we're both on Oxford road. Simon building- that's engineering and Limegrove - languages. Wonder what your research is on. yap, i love manchester. lot's of stuff happening here, a lot mo lively than Durham (my old uni).

J

am also writing my paper alongside the lines of my research. i don't wanna stray too far off. I don't know if that will be the case tho eventually.

C

Williamson! Bye Bye Maths tower!

I am in CHSTM on the top floor of Simons, and when I said Lime Grove (School of Arts Histories and Cultures) I should have been more specific: Bridgeford Street. Sheesh...campus politics post-merger have meant rebranding everywhere...what happened to the old title 'School of Art History and Archaeology'!

I'm researching early natural history collections and menageries. You?

J

fraud... that's what am researching. without giving away too much.. .

J

could you present my paper for me spengler?

P

Do it yourself jojo, then you get that fantastic post-presentation high afterwards. That feeling is better than a couple of glasses of champagne.