Probably a stupid question...

T

Hi! I'm a first time user of this forum!

I am currently applying for a PhD. I've completed all the sections in the application form apart from one section...it asks me to write my 'research interests' in as much detail as possible. But it also says that if i have a full research proposal, I shoudl write that there too.
This may be a silly question but whats the difference between research interest and research proposal? And how shoudl I go about writing it? (this is one of my weakest areas as I am not good at expressing myself in words!)
Maybe I should go for 'research interests' rather than a proposal?
Many thanks for your help!

R

Dear Ting Ting,

research interests are, in my opinion, more general, more the areas you are interested in. For example research in diabetes etc.

A research proposal is a specific project which you have in mind and which has a more explicit form. For example: What is the best method to control diabetes?

:-)

S

you should include any other areas you are interested in. You could talk about your undergrad/masters dissertations, how they relate to your phd proposal, and where you think your thesis will take you. Maybe you could try to show how your phd will fit into your broader research interests. You could also include any other projects that you are involved in. If you can't think of anything you should really try rather than leave it blank. Check out the research interests of the staff you will be working with (but don't copy them - it has to be realistic). Also be careful not to stretch the truth as you might be questioned on it at interview. Finally, I wrote some research interests that were quite diverse. My sup told me to remove some of the less relevant ones in order to make me seem less chaotic.

T

Thank you guys, your advice is much appreciated! I shall try and finish that section off today and save a template for future use.
Again thanks alot!:-)