Problem with Ph.d. guide

G

After pursuing ph.d for about five years, I have now serious problem with my Ph.d guide. In my opinion, whatever work I have done is sufficient. Other experts who are advisors to my department also feels the same way but not my guide. Is there any dispute resolution mechanism in Indian universities in such situation

G

FAO: FindaPhDTeam. I have had similar problems and been depressed after putting in all the hard work. How do you deal with obstructive supervisors?

G

This is a very difficult situation and one I've experienced personally. I think you would need to speak to someone at your institution or university who is in charge of graduate students, but who is not in your department. Good luck.

If you don't feel that you can talk to your supervisor, your postgraduate advisors, departmental postgraduate tutor or department head then your students union should have an Education and Welfare officer or a Postgraduate Officer who will be able to take up your problem and find the appropriate person for you to speak to. Universities do not like losing students and will be keen to resolve your dificulties.

G

In many countries, such as the U.S. for example, it is not uncommon for PhD supervisors to purposely delay submission of a thesis by a PhD student as PhD students are thought of as 'cheap labor'. I think it is important to have a second supervisor who is familiar with your subject area but not necessarily in the same department or even university as your main supervisor. If you do not have a second supervisor, you should still be able to speak (in confidence) to a committee in charge of postgraduate students at your university to discuss your options.