Professional proofreading

S

I'm debating getting someone to proofread my work before final submission and was wondering if anyone ever did this. I don't think my writing is particularly bad but I'm just thinking I've worked really hard for this and wouldn't want to spot mistakes once it's been hardbound, etc. or does it not matter??

If anyone has used a proofreader, can you give us an idea of how it works, costs, etc?

Thanks.

Skig

D

It can be expensive and partly depends on whether they charge by the hour or word count. Could a friend or relative not do it? If you have the time to step back from your research and then come back to it you should be able to read it with fresh eyes and be able to spot typos etc you may have missed. Depends how much it means to you but personally I wouldn't pay to have it proofread.

M

I may be a little late in putting my view across but I would definitely say that paying for a non-biased professional to read through your work is worth it. Red Pen Proof Reading (they have a Facebook page) has been making its way around friends of mine who have been working away on their Masters and PhDs, so why not check them out? I think it's important to let anyone you hire read through and make recommendations even if you don't take them up on their suggestions!

Good luck with your work :o)

S

Thanks for that! I'm not sure I'll have enough time as my work is due soon but I'll look them up anyway... ta

W

I wouldn't pay to get it proof read - I never did mine. There probably are a couple of typos in my final copy, but I've seen them in other theses I've read. The way I see it is that theses usually get minor corrections following the viva. The examiners sometimes pick up on the typos and when you re-read your thesis and do the minor corrections, you usually pick up in the typos anyway - so there's not really any need. That's just my tuppence worth!