professor wants change of study subject

S

Hairui and Rick, I really do feel so sorry for you both. My supervisor suggested a change of focus, but at least it was only half way through my research. I have since come to the conclusion that this was because he had been a bit liberal with the truth about the extent of his capabilities when he'd joined the team and couldn't actually supervise my original topic. With everything I have read on this forum and my own experience, I've come to the conclusion that the whole PhD process is a complete shambles. I work in a university and if our undergrads were treated like this, there would be absolute hell to pay and rightly so. I think the problem is that since we invest so much time, effort and money in getting a PhD, that we feel unable to complain just in case it jeopardises our chances of passing. It's a terrible system.

R

Hi Shani,

thank you for your suggestions.

I think you make a fair point in using what I have already got and maybe adding what the professor suggested aside of it.
Also good point in visualizing the perfect outcome as part of negotiation.

I talk to my supervisor in German, this is not my first language. On top of that I am not a very assertive person. As such I often find it not so easy to negotatiate about issues. Sometimes I make mistakes in the grammar (and spelling!) when I get annoyed or excited, making that my arguments do not come accross as good as I would like to.

Anyway, I have discussed the issue with my supervisor and we are going to leave the project for now how it is. I have booked an appointment with the professor end of Nov to discuss matters. By then I may see things different than at the moment, currently I just have very bad feelings about the whole process. Like was mentioned in post by Sarah: the whole PhD thing seems to smell!

R

Hi Hairui,

sorry to read about the whole issue, and again, I think you are very brave.

Reflecting on what you write I think as well that option 3 (finding new supervisors) is problably the best option (for you, but also for the other parties). Question is how to do that. Are there any rules regarding this? I mean can your friends be your supervisors? Do they have to be attached to your university or can it be another? Or in fact can it be anyone as long as they are knowledgable regarding your subject? Have your "old" supervisors any suggestions or has all communication stopped? Is there an Ombudsman who may be able to help?

Rick

H

======= Date Modified 10 Oct 2008 10:27:57 =======
Hi Rick,

I have already started the process of searching for new supervisors. I trawled the uni website and looked up their credentials. Then I email them with the research topic and what's been done so far, and what kind of help I need to complete the thesis. I've had 2 replies and unfortunately, one is on study leave and the other is loaded with clinical work. I will continue to carry out the search for a new supervisor. In the event that no one will take me, the university has a duty of care to appoint someone from outside the university to guide the thesis to completion, unless I opt to submit without supervision.

Communication with the previous team is irreparable.

The new supervision team has to be approved by the RDSO (Research Degree Student Office).