Proposal Nightmare: Please help me improve my proposal

C

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum so....hello!I'm trying to write a PHD proposal at the moment but I just feel that mine's lacking a certain something.Two questions: 1. Is it enough to name drop relevant theorists and their work or do I need to be far more specific? 2. Does anyone have some general pointers for me that just cannot b eelft out of a PHD proposal. Thanks in advance :)

F

Hello, I've just finished mine and am waiting for a decision, so I know the position you are in. I wouldn't 'name drop' theorists unless you know they have direct relevence to your subject area and maybe chose a couple of juicy quotes from them that illustrate a point instead of just mentioning names. Also, I found that structure was really important, make it as tight and succinct as you can, and lay out the chapters very clearly. Try to draw some bold conclusions, it's hard because you don't know what you are going to find, but you can give some 'educated guesses' at what the research might yield.
Think of the proposal as a sales pitch, you are trying to convince a selector that this is a brilliant idea and that you are the best person to undertake it. Good Luck!

P

What is your subject area?

C

My subject area is English Literature, in particular Gothic Literature and the figure of the vampire.

P

ooh interesting. Bram Stoker is one of my favourites
I am afraid I don't know anything about eng lit style proposals -but now you've said I am sure someone on here will be able to give you a few pointers

C

Hey, I'm writing one at the moment too...again! Spend most of my PhD applying for funding rather than actually doing work!! Mine is in Eng Lit stuff too. Basically, you need to be really specific about what has already been done - this is where the names come in, they need to know WHO has done WHAT already, and then the vital part is that you show specifically HOW your work does something DIFFERENT (i.e. developing, refuting, expanding on whats already out there etc.). Hope this helps.