Prospective Phd student seeking advice from current Phd students in English Literature

B

I am currently an MA student writing a thesis. My focus is on the Early Modern period. I wanted to know if/when I go on to a Phd program can I change my area of interest. I love the period, but find myself fascinated by a different area of interest and wanted to know if I continue can I change this or am I stuck with the Early Modern period? It is after all another 5 years of school and I want to make sure I will remain interested for that period of time. Thank you.

S

hi there, I cant tell you about changing from the Early Modern period.. but I can tell you that is POSSIBLE for you to change your area of interest. That is what I did. Sometimes it is difficult learning a completely different subject, but it is not impossible. I am also lucky that my director of studies agreed to supervise me despite my different background.

Go for it if you want

P

I would say that you should be able to change to a different area of interest if it isn't a complete change ie from English Lit to Biology! From your post I think you mean a different area of English Lit so that shouldn't cause any problems at all. I did my masters in Early Medieval Language and Lit and my PhD is in later medieval Art History, so a change of time period and subject. It's about having the research skills and the skills you have gained so far in studying Early Modern literature will be transferable to other periods. Out of interest what are you working on at the moment and what do you want to work on?

B

Pamw, I'm working on a thesis revolving around Milton, with a Blake as a support. I like the Early Modern period after all it has Shakespeare, Milton, Donne, Spenser, etc and would like to teach classes of these authors. However, I feel overwhelmed with so much 17th century that other things sound appealing like Romantic/Gothic (which was my main interest in undergrad years).