Protein extraction advice

Z

Hi, can anyone recommend a good kit for the extraction of protein from whole insects??

Thanks xxx

Z

Well it did initially, but then when I ran the DNA on a gel I found contamination with Platform shoe RNA.

S

I don't know anything about mashing insects up, but just curious - is the DNA/RNA extraction from whole insects an established technique? Why are you having difficulty finding out how to do it? I guess I probably know the answer to this already - I've found myself in this kind of situation where there are things that 'everybody' knows how to do, but you don't happen to have any of them at your uni! You should try e-mailing the author of a recent, relevant paper. I've done this quite a few times in the past and most people are really helpful (I tell myself 'that's what the corresponding author e-mail address is for'). There's no need to feel ashamed about something you don't know if you've made genuine efforts to find out about it.

S

or you could look for a thesis which outlines how to do it - on the web or inter-library loan