Publication

A

Hi. I just submitted my first paper to a journal a month ago. I have not heard from them. I guess this is normal. What I want to ask is whether this will mean that I will get comments from them at this stage, or whether they could just reject it outright. I know I have targeted a bit high, and it is likely that it is rejected, but I would really appreciate the comments.

K

Hi Ailicec! Well it depends on the journal, some are faster/slower than others, but if it was going to be rejected outright by the editors they probably would have done it after a month (although it is the holiday season). So it's probably been sent out to review by now. I'm in the same boat really, I submitted 3 papers a few weeks ago and am not expecting them all to be accepted as I also aimed a bit high (if you don't ask, you don't get!), but I'm wondering whether they've been sent out yet. With some journals it's possible to check progress online, and that would probably show you if it's under peer-review or not, but maybe you can't do that with the journal you submitted to? Good luck anyway :) Best, KB

B

======= Date Modified 02 Aug 2011 11:51:37 =======
Some journals acknowledge submission of articles, others don't. So not hearing from them is ok. 1 month is far too soon for you to be getting feedback on your article. It will have to go out for peer review, and that can be a slow process, given how busy academics are.

Does the journal you submitted to give any guidelines in its notes for contributors about how long it usually takes to consider submissions? These guidelines can be woefully inaccurate mind. A journal I submitted to (a very eminent one) said it normally makes a decision in 3 months. They took 9 months to consider my article ...

There are various possible outcomes. Your article could be rejected outright. Or (rarely) it could be accepted without revisions. Or you might be offered a revise and resubmit. Generally though you will be sent the feedback of the reviewer(s), which will be helpful in any case.

Good luck!

A

Thank you. My supervisor submitted the paper so I do not have the passwords etc. But the supervisor told me she has not heard anything yet except an 'Acknowledgement of receipt of your submitted article' a month ago. Hoping I get comments and it is not rejected outright. Hopefully I hear in the next couple of months, with some comments :)