Publishing results from your thesis

R

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some advice from others doing a Phd and submitted publications. I am very close to submission of my PhD, and whilst I am still within my post I would like to submit a journal paper, however, I wanted to know the best way to make the most of the research that I will hand in for my thesis. Is it acceptable to put some of the research and results from my thesis also in the journal paper? Would I need to change re-write things to avoid plagiarising my own work? I would really appreciate some advice and input from others.

Thanks.

D

Most people here will say that you shall not just copy-paste parts from your viva in the paper. However, I copy-paste large parts from my PhD with no shame. I am aware that this is self-plagiarism, however, I cannot find a way to describe my methodology or write a general introductory paragraph without self-plagiarising!

Generally, the paper needs to be a shorter and denser version of the PhD. Yes, you can use your results, but because the paper is shorter it has to be focused on one specific finding.

R

Thanks for your input DrJeckyll