Publishing while unemployed

N

I am a postdoc out of job currently in the UK (though looking actively - ah, there we go again...). My field is sciences. I have had several research ideas since last few years, but never managed to pursue them because you know how they make postdocs work like donkeys... you never get time of your own. I also tried to obtain my own funding, but not much luck there.

Because I have some spare time now, I think I should do that research in my own time and get it published. Does anyone know how easy/difficult this is?

How do I access the journal articles? They cost a fortune if you want to buy them. In fact, how do you do a proper literature search without access to those indexing services (e.g. ISI WoK), which only universities seem to have access to. Do journals accept papers if you submit them in private capacity (with your home address)?

If anyone is familiar with this, I would really appreciate any help. Thanks! :-)

B

I'm going to be in a similar position. I recently completed my part-time PhD, but can't use it for work, or do any work at all due to severely disabling illness. So any future publishing I'm doing is going to be as an independent researcher, and I'm shortly to lose my uni library access.

I've signed up for an OU course next year to give me access to electronic journals then. Which is good. But it is difficult to get access to them if you're not affiliated to a uni as staff or student.

I'd appreciate hearing any good (legal!) workarounds too.

In the meantime I'm working to get two more journal papers out the door before I lose that library access. Well will see what I can do.

B

Forgot to address the home address / journals publishing issue. In my field (humanities) I've seen quite a lot of journal articles from independent researchers, so for me it shouldn't be a problem. I'd hope it would work the same in the science field.

B

No one with any more comments on this? I'm rapidly approaching the time when I'll lose my online library access, at least until my OU course starts next year, so it's becoming a bit acute.

On the plus side I still have life access to a nearby uni library, but that doesn't include their electronic journal subscriptions. For those I can see myself having to fork out highly for key papers, or requesting photocopies of specific things by post from a distant copyright library.

At least my two journal papers in progress are nearly written.

C

Bilbo - does your library have terminals with access to journals on them? My uiniversity has computers terminals that always remain logged in for "external users" (former students, public etc) and you sign up for a session of 30 minutes or so on them at reception. You can print out copies of journals etc there....

You could aslo be a bit naughty and borrow the athens password etc of your supervisor/ other students. Your sup esp. may be pleased to help you get access to journals.

On that note, I will retain my access to my institutions journals until May 2011 - so give me a PM if you need anything.

B

No my library doesn't have open access terminals. The only ones available (in both my current uni library, and the nearby one where I have life access) require people to login with current uni details.

My husband still works at the uni so I could go through him, but I'm not entirely happy about that. I'd rather do something above board, so to speak!

Thanks for your PM offer. Much appreciated.

B

Well I've just fired off an email to my uni library to see if their provision for electronic journals access is better for non-staff/students than the other uni library where I'm a life member. Not optimistic. Another option might be to wangle an honorary fellowship, if I could get away with it, but still not sure that would get what's required for the electronic journal access. Mmm.

C

Good luck. I think your best bet would be to approach your fomer supervisor(s) and ask if they could help you with access to journal articles until you start the OU. Your publishing success is their own reflected glory, they know you, and they will be happy to help. That or get your husband to sort you out with access. Not above board, but I think that in a world of privatised knowledge - this is neccesary. :)

B

Thanks Chris. I got a really quick reply from my uni libary: no go, due to licensing arrangements the electronic journals can only be made available to current staff/students.

I've just fired off another email, this time to my sup, to see if an honorary research fellowship could be arranged for me. That would solve an awful lot of the practical problems, and be totally above board. Can't hurt to ask.