Puzzled at grounded theory

M

Even PhD candidates do not use theoretical codings...

Based on my limited experience, several PhD candidates do not use axial or theoretical codings.
Furthermore, you will likely be confused if you read more PhD theses.
We may need to clarify "*whose* grounded theory". Kelpie's grounded theory? Or HifaMo's grounded theory? :-)

H

I really appreciate your encouragement, MeaninginLife.

Based on my limited experience, several PhD candidates do not use axial or theoretical codings.

I agree. That is what I noticed and it encouraged to stick to grounded theory method.

Furthermore, you will likely be confused if you read more PhD theses.
We may need to clarify "*whose* grounded theory". Kelpie's grounded theory? Or HifaMo's grounded theory? :-)

Yes, I agree. I have already stopped seeking new ideas because I have to submit the thesis soon.
I didn't get what you meant by the last sentence. If you meant I have to detail how I used grounded theory in the thesis, I am planning to do it, following some PhD theses.

Thank you, MeaninginLife. You helped me a lot.

M

I was trying to be vague. :-)

The situation is: several authors have their own descriptions of grounded theory and definitions of different codings and categories...
Thus, the result is confusion! Everyone carries out grounded theory in different way.
Your approach in grounded theory, for example, can be named after you.

Anyway, my suggestion is just focus on 'constant comparison' for a few times until your categories are saturated or stabilized. That's all. Good luck!

H

That's all. Good luck!

Thank you, MeaninginLife.

Your replies were very informative.

I have one final question if you don't mind.

I'm confused about what to focus on in my thesis title: netnography, grounded theory or both.

Personally, I want to include both of them as well as the term 'online community', but I don't want to make it verbose.

Could you please tell me which sounds good to you?

1. (four words summarizing the topic): A Netnographic Study of an Online Community
2. (four words summarizing the topic): A Grounded Theory Netnographic Study of an Online Community
3. (four words summarizing the topic): A Grounded Theory Netnography

Thank you

M

Quote From HifaMo:

1. (four words summarizing the topic): A Netnographic Study of an Online Community
2. (four words summarizing the topic): A Grounded Theory Netnographic Study of an Online Community
3. (four words summarizing the topic): A Grounded Theory Netnography

"A Netnographic Study of an Online Community: A Grounded Theory Approach"
or something like "Is Netnography effective at uncovering consumer innovation?: A Grounded Theory Approach"
or "Incorporating grounded theory approach in a Netnographic Study of an Online Community"

Not sure what you are really doing, but it seems fine to have a few more words.

H

Thank you, Meaninginlife.

I will make it specific.

Please is the following combination of words fine, just the second part of the title (after the colon)?

M

Or "Grounded Theory in Netnography: A Study of an Online Community..."?

It should be more appropriate to check with your supervisor.

H

Thank you, Meaninginlife.
I appreciate your help