Qualitative research focus groups

T

hi rick

am likely to use to use two languages with translation underneath for quotes. the write up will be in english, the other language is an african one because people that i ve to interview are not fluent in english. so far so good, i have done it before and it worked. good luck with your focus groups!

R

Hi Shani, tsipat,

nice to hear from you both. It seems that the 3 of use are in a similar position. I think it would be good to help each other and as such to stay in contact. Also for moral support!

What are your views regarding "ethnograph"? I have heared of it yet not used it. Any thoughts?

M

Hi All

Great to hear of others doing focus groups... I have mine done transcribed and NOW what the hell do I do next????? I know I just need to sit down and get started with the analysis - using a phenomological approach - I cant even pronounce that!

The best advice I got for focus groups was - USE A HIGH QUALITY OMNIDIRCTIONAL MIC

M

ooops posted too early

About the mic... try get it hung from the ceiling - I then recored onto digital video tape - this allowed easy forming of MP3 tracks of amazin sound quality - my participants were all paralysed with poor vocal projection.

Hope this helps - its worth the money (mine was about €130 - the mic, the AV dept at college helped me.

R

Hi MicheleV,

thanks for your input.

The idea of the quality microfone is useful. I have a normal one yet may be that would not be good enough. The microphone which you had is that a professionAal one; I mean what they use for radio interviews?

How are you going to approach your analysis?