qualitative research nightmares

A

Just started my phD, but have been trying to ask the right question for a few months now..dont seem to be getting anywhere. My supervisor is great and says that its normal, it takes time to get to the right question and that its part of the qualitative proces..blah blah.. but i'm feeling panicky..have other people had simialr difficulties? or is it just me? Cheers.

M

i am not sure if it is normal, but everybody around here tries to calm me down with the same sayings. i am already 1.5 half years into it and still don't see my topic miraculously popping into my head. so before you start to panick, wait another year :)

A

cheers! there arent any other students in my deptt. doing qualitative work..its very quantitative around here, so it gets a bit isolating...

K

hi, I am doing qualitative research as well and working very much on my own. I am 18 months into it and it took a full year to get my research question itself clear. Even now, my design and approach is subject to change but I did spend a lot of reading into approaches to qualitative research so if you have any specific questions let me know. It's very swampy and can be difficult to get things clear in your head. It's not unusual to be feeling this way.

D

Hi there,
I'm approaching the end of my first year and have not even started working on what i am going to ask respondents. In fact I have only just pinned down what my broad research topic is. This has come about after months of reading aorund the subject, seeing what others are asking, whats already been done. Unless you have done significant connected work at MA it may well be worth putting the practical on one side and going back to the books to isolate the crux of your research, otherwise you may find yourself wasteing valuable time and resources. hth x

R

Hi Ace,

there is a good book by David Silverman (Doing Qualitative Research) which I found very useful.
For me the whole issue of qualitative research is still quite confusing and I haven't made a decision yet regarding what would be the best method ,let alone a very specific research question.

So it seems what you are going through is quite normal.

Regards

K

yes, Rick is right and Michael Patton's book is very good as well. It requires an awful lot of reading around the methodologies, paradigms and actual designs. But I hope you take comfort in the fact that it is difficult for everyone. Even lecturers in my department have come looking to share ideas etc.. because no one really feels that they are an expert/authority on it. Take care K

A

Dear All, Thanks. All your comments have been reasuring. Thanks for the book recommendations and thanks for the advice. I'm new to the forum so it was great to see some supportive people here. I guess, the reason I was getting jumpy was because there really wasnt anyone to discuss my progress (or lack of!) with in my quantitave department. And coming from a medical background I'm used to working 'now'.My masters degree was in something different and did not require much thought.(but a lot of hardwork)..whereas now patience/reflection is probably the first thing I need to learn in this PhD!!! thats my thought for the day!

L

My supervisor constantly recommends Jennifer Masons 'Qualitative Research' to everyone so you might find it helpful :)