quality of PhD. studies in sweden.

G

can anyone tell me of the quality and reputation of swedish PhD's especially in the biological sciences? how do swedish PhDs compare with german and british counterparts?

G

I do not have the answer to your question. However, I’m curious, do you really think it matters? What do you fear?

G

a PhD in Sweden, doubtless like in most other countries requires very hard work and the minimum time is four years during which atleast three papers have to be published. several student spend 5-6 yrs and at the end dont get the PhD cause they dont have enough papers published. all in all five yrs is a long time.......

G

I can see how the duration of a program can be discouraging. I feel the same way about a program I would like to begin in the fall. As well as, the publication requirements. I guess it’s part of the package. If you feel that it’s more to your liking to produce fewer papers and complete the program in less time, then why not? What are you considering to pursue a PhD in?

G

I'm still scouting around. but in molecular biology or neuroscience. its reall tough to convince a supervisor to take you in, especially in Sweden as there are too many appliactions and far too less positions. how bout you?

G

A professor I know from my masters would like to work with me. It would be a PhD in Rural Studies, definitely not a traditional discipline. I would be focusing on comparative rural immigration policy between Canada and Europe, or something related to that. I have yet to decide, the length of the program is discouraging.