Query on Job Interview Outcome

S

Hey, congratulations

It sounds to me like they're just being cautious since you've been a student for so long and so don't want to commit to a permanent contract at this moment in time. It might be that in 9 months after assessing how you manage back in the working world that they make it permanent.

T

That's great news Incognito, well done! It's just because if you turn out to be a bad employee it is difficult to dismiss you so temporary contracts like this are common nowadays. Just impress them whilst you are employed and you will be fine! Once you start, you can also ask when they will let you about the decision of a permanent contract so that you know if you need to start looking elsewhere.

Congrats!

I

Hey Socialpolitik/ TreeofLife,
Thanks so much for your kind words! I will receive the official contract next week by post according to the director. Should I discuss the contract with a legal advisor or something to avoid any catches, or is that a bit too dramatic?
@TreeofLife: In your point of view, if there's nothing in the contract about a possible "extension" or "making it permanent" should I suggest it or what do you recommend I should do? I will definitely post again on this forum once I get the written offer.

C

Congratulations on your job offer! As TreeofLife says, temporary contracts are everywhere just now, and it maybe even says more about their position as employers than about how concerned they are about you as a worker - lots of employers are hedging their bets just now and only issuing temp contracts because of the economic climate. I wonder whether it's a fixed-term temporary post or whether they're giving you a 9-month trial period for a permanent post. At any rate, it is great to get a job offer, and it is always much easier to look for something else from a position of employment, even if it does turn out to be temporary.

I

Hi chickpea,
It seemed from the phone call yesterday that it would be a temporary post, but when I asked if there is a possibility of an extension he said that we'll review this a few months after you start working. I need to get the written contract tbh to confirm this- yesterday was just a verbal offer to let me know that I won the competition (as they refer to it). I think if after 6 months of employment I get the impression that there will be no extension I'll start applying for something else or go back to teaching. He kept saying it's not a reflection on my qualities as I had the qualities for the job- but I have been in academia for the past 3-4 years. Details will be clearer once I receive the written offer/contract next week.

S

hi incognito
congratulations
this is good news at least, even if it may be temporary at first :-)

love satchi

T

Congratulations and best wishes for your jobb!

T

Quote From incognito:

It seemed from the phone call yesterday that it would be a temporary post, but when I asked if there is a possibility of an extension he said that we'll review this a few months after you start working. I think if after 6 months of employment I get the impression that there will be no extension I'll start applying for something else or go back to teaching.

It's annoying to train new staff continually, so unless they only want someone for a short term project, I would presume they want to give a permanent position. This is will be clearer when you start the job so I wouldn't push it any further now, I would wait and see what sort of comments they make about the future. I agree 6 months is a good time to start looking for a new position, but don't just rely on your 'impression' of whether there will be an extension, make sure you ask them directly. Also bear in mind, permanent contracts take time to be set up by HR etc anyway so they will need to be arranging things months in advance.

I

It's annoying to train new staff continually, so unless they only want someone for a short term project, I would presume they want to give a permanent position. This is will be clearer when you start the job so I wouldn't push it any further now, I would wait and see what sort of comments they make about the future. I agree 6 months is a good time to start looking for a new position, but don't just rely on your 'impression' of whether there will be an extension, make sure you ask them directly. Also bear in mind, permanent contracts take time to be set up by HR etc anyway so they will need to be arranging things months in advance.

Hi TreeofLife,
I think you're right as it doesn't seem that the projects the department is involved in at the moment would last only 9 months- they would last years.

I received the contract today and I think what they've done is offer me the full-time, fixed-term position to:
1) Hedge their bets since I'm returning to work after the PhD.
2) Not entangle themselves with having to offer me all the benefits etc… that come with permanent jobs.

Sounds like that's the case right? Cheesy on their part I must say. Lots of paperwork to go over and confidentiality agreements of course. Contract doesn't mention anything about an extension but I'm assuming it's normal that that won't be mentioned so prematurely right?

T

Yep that all sound legit. I wouldn't expect there to be anything in the contract about an extension. Exciting :)

I

Thanks :). Contract signed today- the way I see it is that the position is AMAZING! Whether it ends up being only for 9 months or not to have this in the resume is really good and fingers crossed it leads to a permanent job or a similar job elsewhere. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.
@TreeofLife: I will be working in the public sector- would that prevent me from going back into academia/think-tank research work should I chose to in the future? The work will be in the same general field as my PhD but not the same subject do you think that'll be an issue?

T

I really don't think it should affect any future academic/think tank jobs. Especially if it's only for 9 months. Everyone knows how difficult the job market is at the moment so if it was me I would just mention that in any future job interview.