question about interviews

P

Guys, brief questions.

When you transcribe your one on one in depth interviews, how long is the transcript usually for a 1 hr interview...and roughly how many questions do you usually get in...

I wanted a rough idea now that i hav done a few...wa wndering if any of you more experienced ones, could provide some info from ur experiences (best if these rnt interviews for getting info but ones that will be analysed for themes etc...)

It really depends on the speaker I find. Some 1hr interviews can be 30 pages, others can be 15. I tend to either get people who give me very succinct answers (even with open questions) or those that take it as their chance to get everything off their chest, cos I have booked an hour to listen to them speak.

I usually get about about 6 questions, although for each question it has about 4 prompts underneath. Having a nightmare with mine at the moment tho :-(

A

Between 15 and 25 pages. I asked 5 questions which also had prompts. But I wouldn't be suprirsed to see them go much much longer than that.

It sucks in terms of transcribing but I wouldn't worry about the length in terms of whether or not you have good enough data. I've found that some of my shorter interviews (and focus groups) seem to have richer data as the participants appear to be giving more considered answers and there is less umm-ing and ah-ing.

A

P

Hmm thanks, and then do you use express scribe?

My thing is, i have interviewed teens and young people, in brief about their internet habits, and in front of their computers so they could show me stuff and i could see things they were doing online etc.

So you can imagine it was largely a very busy conversation, with things being pointed out and me squeezing my schedule in. Its like this hectic 45 to 50 min long things each, and the thought of transcribing is giving me a headache. But i promised transcripts in a 'fat folder' to my sup at our next supervision (which is looming close, AND i am only just done prilly 2/3 of the interviews) and now I am screwed!!

R

Bug, you're not screwed!! It's the hard reality that sometimes things take longer than you think they're going to, and you don't get everything you'd like done for deadlines. I only did recorded interviews for a couple of my chapters, but got pushed for time with the transcribing when I was supposed to be analysing it. I ended up just listening to the rest and taking notes while I listened, as it was quicker to get the gist of what was being said than transcribing the whole lot. It gave me enough data to get my chapter drafts done for a deadline. Can you do that before your supervision meeting, so at least you'll have a mix of actual transcripts plus an overview of the rest of the data, so you've got a broad idea for your sup of where you're going with it?

P

======= Date Modified 20 Jan 2009 09:55:09 =======
Guess I shall do that...hmm...thanks..
so many thing on....RAship on a big project, a presentation in front of a scholar in my theoretical framework on Thursday (out of the 4 people in my core concetual framework, 2 are dead, and the other 2 will hear me speak on Thursday, beat that)..

then interviews for my work, and the report with sup for another project still ongoing...

okay, so how many things in my had right now? ohh..right, I've forgotten how to count!

R

Hhmm, a heavy workload....

Re your presentation - I did a conf paper really early on in my PhD, felt like an absolute novice, a complete bag of nerves and was a bit starstruck by the number of academics in the audience whose books I'd read. In the end, they were really interested in what I was doing because it was a new angle on the subject to them, as your PhD topic probably is too. They know you're in the early stages of a PhD and should make allowances for that, we're learning and they're well established academics, so no way can we know everything. Good luck with it, but don't make yourself ill in the process, we're human, not robots. (up)