Question about page format

E

Hello all, maybe it is very silly question for some of you, but I don't know the answer. Do you know what is the book format? I mean the size of the page and the margins ... etc.

Hi Emaa - I have never come across this. Have you been asked to format something as 'book format'? If so what is it - article submission, or thesis, perhaps? Might help to solve the mystery!
P.

E

Hi Pootle,
My thesis must be max 250 p. I usually write on A4. But this time my supervisor said that one page of my work corresponds to more than one page in book format. I don't know what she means.!!

C

Hi Emaa,
Could your supervisor just mean that in general terms books will have fewer words to the page than the standard A4 print out due to smaller pages and, probably, larger margins? If she's got a particular format in mind I think you'll need to ask her for specifics otherwise searching on 'book page layout' or some such yields various more or less standard templates for books or looking at relevant publisher's guidelines from their websites may help.

Just read your second post,if this is in relation to the format of the thesis itself, the university should provide guidelines somewhere on the website or postgrad handbook. I think the norm is to print on A4 though the margin on the binding side has to be greater than usual

E

Hi Clupean, there is nothing in the guidelines or on the website. I remember that I asked the secretaries last year about the number of words. They told me your supervisor defines everything. I will continue using A4 and when I finish writing I'll ask what she means by book format.

Hi Emaa, I have never come across a thesis that was not in A4 format. Would it help to look at copies of previous theses submitted to your university, lodged in the library? You could also try asking the graduate school if they know of any guidelines. I agree with Clupea; it is very rare for there to be no guidelines at all.

E

Thanks Pootle, there is a guidelines, but I don't find anything in it except that I have 10 semester :) and some procedural matters. I'll ask my supervisor when I finish the writing of the draft.

Thank you all guys