Question for the Arts and Humanities PhD students.

T

That's brilliant that you have got a full stipend for you MPhil. Excellent news! If you can do it for your MPhil then you can do it for your PhD. What is your research project about?

D

Thank you, Timmy. I hope that I have made the right decision because I resigned from my current job for this MPhil even though my fds and family do not encourage or support me to do so. I don't listen to them and keep telling myself that I want to do what I want. Now I have no choice and have to do the best I can to prove that I have made the right decision and choice for my future. But I understand that it is still a long way to go. I do hope that everything will go pretty well when I start my MPhil study in coming August.

My research project is about discourse analysis of policy documents in my country in terms of generic organizations, communicative purposes and linguistic features. What about your master's degree research project and your PhD research proposal project? Since we are in the Arts and Humanities, you may be familiar with my research area, right? We can share our views here. Haha!

T

I think you have made the right decision because it is clearly what you wanted to do, even if it gets harder later. Everything will go well because you are feeling the pressure and will focus on the task at hand.

Yes I am familiar with discourse analysis, in a broad way at least. I have read a lot of Foucault and know about how power functions in language. If you are interested in language and power then Norman Fairclough has written a good book entitled (surprise) 'language and power'. So what I know of discourse analysis is predicated on Foucault's analyses of how desire/power have come to function in our institutions throughout history. I think his 'history of madness' pretty much covers the genealogical formation of desire/power in an institutional sense.

So my knowledge about discourse analysis is basically limited to Foucault's genealogical and archaeological explanations of discourse. So much more of a historical view on discourse rather than an analytical approach to institutional linguistic features, as my knowledge of linguistics is weak. Who are the big names in linguistic analysis of institutional regimes of truth?

Yeah my Master's degree research project is about the normative capacities of theological science fiction and fantasy.